My latest engraving

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
John folder2.jpg
Here is my latest engraving.
The first proper engraving job on a knife in nearly six months!!
The knife was also made by me, featuring Elmax steel blade with satin finished hollow grinds and mirror polished flats. Lightning strike carbon fibre handles and 303 stainless steel bolsters. Fileworked Titanium liners with blue anodising.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Nice! beautiful knife Jan Hendrik. Can I ask how the 303 stainless was to engrave? I have some 304, and I felt that it was not so simple.....

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Nice! beautiful knife Jan Hendrik. Can I ask how the 303 stainless was to engrave? I have some 304, and I felt that it was not so simple.....

This particular 303 stainless was round bar that was forged down to flat bar. In the process it softens the metal a little. Most of my other engraving on knife bolsters was done on 304 stainless steel. It is slightly more difficult to cut.
I know most engravers prefer to cut 416 stainless steel, However that is not available to us in South Africa and I have no experience with it to draw a comparison.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the reply. I have the same problem to get 416 ss here in Norway. I Have read that you have to increase the face angle to prevent the graver from chipping(that was my problem using templates from Lindsay). Can I ask you what graver face angle you use?

sincerely
Jørn-Ove

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the reply. I have the same problem to get 416 ss here in Norway. I Have read that you have to increase the face angle to prevent the graver from chipping(that was my problem using templates from Lindsay). Can I ask you what graver face angle you use?

sincerely
Jørn-Ove

I use the standard face angle with the Lindsay template system, however I dub the graver points. I even dub the flat graver points when doing background removal. I find that there is much less chipping of the graver point this way.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you everybody for the kind words.
My work has improved quite a lot, but I can still improve a lot more.
Your work serves as inspiration to me and keeps me pushing to better my skills.

Sponsors