My new antique engraving vise

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Isn't she a beauty?! I believe it's late 1800s or turn of the century manufactured by A.D. Muehlmatt. Measures about 6" tall. It came with two keys, and I believe the one in the photo is a clock key.

antique_vise.jpg

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I wonder if... being that wire coathangers and engraving blocks are made of metal - they would behave the same?

It could be proven (or not) by a simple experiment.

I could send you mine and you could place them both in a dark closet for 6 months or a year...

At the end of that time you could open the closet and tell us if they have done what wire coat hangers do in the dark?

If so, we could split the profit?

Brian

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That clock key small end is for regulating the clock through a hole at 12 O clock usually on those equipped with that capability.
Nice vise!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
wow ! sam that's a piece of history there, don't you think ? i do. where did you find this ? please don't tell me a flea market !

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Nice, the low profile mini Muehlmatt. It's cool but Sam's has sexier lines, there's something about the worn knurling and dried out leather, it just screams "OMG I'm tired, what do you mean no retirement?" you know. :)

Bob

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I actually quite like the height of that unit.
Way I'm set up I'll pin my work out like that off my vice, if I'm just using goggles.
It is beautiful too. The rounding on it. Decorative little details. A different era.

Sam

Staff member
wow ! sam that's a piece of history there, don't you think ? i do. where did you find this ? please don't tell me a flea market !

Monk: It came from Maine, and came with a few tools which may be watchmaking tools.

Sam

Staff member
Nice, the low profile mini Muehlmatt. It's cool but Sam's has sexier lines, there's something about the worn knurling and dried out leather, it just screams "OMG I'm tired, what do you mean no retirement?" you know. :)

Bob

It may not be apparent in the photo, but the knurled part is brass. The old leather base is in fairly good shape but is pretty dry. I might apply some mink oil to it.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Great vice. So are you going to look at it on the shelf or put the old girl to work?
I have been told that Extra Virgin Olive oil is what is used in museums . To protect old leather.
Its been 20 years since I worked for the saddle maker. But I seam to remember him telling people never to use mink oil.
The leather workers here would have a better Idea as what to use.

Steveareno

Hi Sam

That is a cool old vise, I like the old ones. You put your hand under the jaws to turn and it gives you very good control. I wonder when it changed to holding the jaw on top for turning. Does it have a bushing for rotation and a small thrust bearing in the bottom or does it have ball bearings? Would love to see a photo of the top and bottom separated!

Thanks for sharing
Steve

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Sam

That is a cool old vise, I like the old ones. You put your hand under the jaws to turn and it gives you very good control. I wonder when it changed to holding the jaw on top for turning. Does it have a bushing for rotation and a small thrust bearing in the bottom or does it have ball bearings? Would love to see a photo of the top and bottom separated!

Thanks for sharing
Steve

When they invented air assisted engraving?

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Sam Beautiful vise. I to collect old Engraving and jewelry tools. I love it when people come to visit me in my studio and they not only are interested in seeing my engraving but want to hear about the different antique tools I have on display. ( I just received a couple of old Jewelers presses one is a screw press. I will be cleaning them up cause they are a little weathered I will be using them not only displaying them.)
Again thanks for sharing.
Sam I also see you have posted that you are looking for one of the old inside ring holders. I to am looking for one so if you get a response for a couple of these I would be interested in one of them for my display.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Here are more shots. The underside of the top part is concave, so only its outside edge contacts the bottom half. I see no bushing or bearing, but there's a single screw on the bottom of the ball. Not sure what that does...I'll have a closer look later.
The old thing is silky smooth and has obviously seen a lot of use at the bench.

I'll give olive a try for the leather ring.

antique_vise-4.jpg antique_vise-3.jpg antique_vise-2.jpg

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I have a very similar vise, the head, and jaws look the same, but I think mine may be a bit taller.
I don't remember a makers mark on it, but it would be nice to find out if it is the same. When I get back into the country next week I will post a picture.

Sam

Staff member
Sam, I have a very similar vise, the head, and jaws look the same, but I think mine may be a bit taller.
I don't remember a makers mark on it, but it would be nice to find out if it is the same. When I get back into the country next week I will post a picture.

I think there's a taller version of this vise in the showcase at the GRS Training Center. At least I think I remember it being taller.

Sponsors