NEED HELP with " The Victor" vise made in the USA

Ennismj

I recently bought and older Victor vise #8 that was advertised in near mint condition. The vise has a tapered post and on the end is a ball bearing just a bit larger than a BB. The base of the vise has a screw which raises and lowers the top half of the vise.

THE PROBLEM: With the adjustment screw removed, when I put both halves together, the top part does not fully seat against the bottom half, the distance between the two halves is about 1/16. I also note a wobble on the top part. At 1/16th apart, the top does not turn independent.

When I put the screw in and turn it down to allow the top part to turn independent of the bottom the separation is about 1/8th and the top part of the vise continues to wobble.

QUESTIONS:
1. Should the two halves come fully together? If so, any ideas as to why mine is not?
2. What is an acceptable distance between halves where the top turns independent of the bottom? Is 1/8 ok?
3. Is the wobble in the top, normal?

I noted in the bottom half of the vise there is a slight indent from either a casting issue or a chip out. I don't know that it is impacting my problem but thought I would mention it.

Could they have purposely created a 1/16th gap to allow for wear over time?

I have cleaned, oiled, checked for a bend in the post or any other obstruction but it has me a bit stumped as to why it would not fit together.

I am a bamboo fly rod maker seeking to learn engraving for reel seats and ferrules...please pardon what may seem like basic questions.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
It is tapered ,the space is to allow for wear,as you said.
You should be able to fine tune with the bottom screw,to allow turning and remove play.
If not,maybe you have an dent or something causing either the shaft or bushing to have high spot(s),which will not allow them to seat.
The space seems good between the two,they should NOT go together,or you will have no allowance for wear.
Are the two halves numbered matching?
Maybe two different pieces,and they wore into some other vise part than the one you have,but i doubt it.
Are you sure the wobble is in the shaft ,or could it be in the jaws?
mike

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think your tolerance should be tighter than 1/16".There should be an adjusting screw on the bottom. It will have an outer screw and center screw. If you loosen them out and let the taper drop in until it is tight and then run the screw in until the outer one touches. The center screw has the BB on the top of it inside and you can adjust the amount of gap you want which should just be enough to allow the top to turn easily or not as you desire.

metairieclark

if there is a bearing in between the two halves , it may be upside down or have dirt in it
once you grease it and get it assembled correctly , i d leave it alone , used to get into trouble messing with my dad s stuff when i was little , sounds like something i would end up with after taking it apart to see what was inside

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Years ago I bought a Pepe vice ... don't know where it was manufactured, maybe Russia. It was machined from stainless steel (harder that Superman's head). It is actually a very nicely machined vise for the money. I had same problem in that initially it was way too sloppy to use. The screw in the bottom (the one Silverchip mentioned) had been glued in with some type of thread locker compound. The screw could not be adjusted (not even with a lot of heat). I ended up replacing the ball bearing with a smaller one and was able to make it work much better. YMMV

Latest posts

Sponsors