need help

spurg

hello new to engraving just getting my tools in could use some help on setting up shop.maybe some pictures of your bench would help. just put in an order from grs for gravermach and a monarch handpiece and a standard block vise should be here soon. does anyone know about the microscopes on ebay looking for a good one thanks for all the help spurg

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
You are starting out in first cabin. You've ordered all the right tools.
The microscope must be a meiji EMZ5. It should have 10 power eye pieces and a .5 objective lens.
You will want an acrobat stand also available at grs. Be very careful about buying off ebay because there are so many different models for sale there. I bought mine for $425.00 on buy it now from an outfit that recycles this kind of equipment in Canada. They do a great job on shipping and handling. I had to buy my objective lense from a meiji dealer on the internet. It was $100.00.
I hope this helps and not hinders:D

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are three pics of my persoanl bench.
Complete with dog bed underneath and dual monitors on the iMac.

The First pic is the left side of the bench, second pic is a straight on shot of the bench and third is the right side of bench.

For more ideas on bench set ups check out the studio tour on my website to see other benches I have set up at the school.

Ray

Attachments

• left side of bench.jpg
    left side of bench.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 137
  • straight on.jpg
    straight on.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 136
  • right side of bench.jpg
    right side of bench.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 127

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Ray....you let your dog in the shop? I would think that their paws would pick up all the engraving chips and slivers. As well as their coat being so close to the work area. By the way how is the I-Mac working out? I have used Pc's for years but have been thinking about about trying a Mac for my next machine. Have you had any luck running PC apps on the Mac?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here's a previous thread which shows quite a few workbenches from Cafe members.

Ray: how long have you been on Mac systems?

Andy: I've not run Windows apps on mine, but it's quite easy from what I hear. I read a review in a magazine that Macs run windows faster and better than PC's. Not sure if that's true...just what I read.

Macs are wonderful computers.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well guys here is the deal on the iMac

I will never own a PC again. After using this machine I wonder how in the world Bill Gates got so bloddy rich.

WHen My last PC blew up (After having it rebuilt several times in a two year period) I decided I would never own another PC. I would do without a computer first. I went to my local MAC Store and bought this 17" imac . I also bought a few hundred dollars worth of software to let me run windows applications and I have never used it. Anyway I think the computer was around $1,500.

It has 250gigs of hardrive, 1gig of ram (if I remember correctly) it has the new duo core proccessors. I ahve never had a faster or more efficient computer. I don't have a sinlge bit of virus software installed and its not a problem. Viruses are a non issue with MACs, no spyware problems either. Also this is a sefl contained unit. No tower everything is built in to the screen... really cool! After using this I will never go back to PC hell.

As far as it running windows applications. I really can't tell you. I bought the program that allows you to intall windows and run it but like I said I never used it. Wasted my money there.

What I found is that most software companies will swap you out the Mac version for your PC version. You send them back the PC disc and they send you a Mac disc for a small fee (usually shipping). Not all places do this but soem do. It cost me a grand total of $175 to switch all my programs from the PC version to Mac. That includes things like Office, Photoshop, Poser, etc. I took to the Mac OSX opperating system like a duck takes to water so I never mesed with windows. I like the Mac OSX a LOT better.

Spurg,

On the microscope. I have some of the microsope stores scopes in house. I have four seperate models. While they are not as heavy duty and the fit and finish is not quite as nice the optics are good. I have used all of them. For the price thay are a good scope and will serve well for an engraver. A simple boom stand will serve just fine too. I used a boom stand for years and did just fine. Laid out the money for an acrobat stand and I see no advantage to it. I could switch right back to the boom stand tomorrow and not miss a beat.

Ray

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray and others:
My boom stand has a tendency of getting tight. It must be from all the dust in the shop. I ruined one by oiling it. The metal rods sliding thru the Teflon sleeves start getting tight. It drives me nuts sometimes. Is there anything able to be put on to make the rods slide easier? I know I should get an acrobat but you know other priorities.
Mike

hmw

Mike, I am familiar with the sticking problem also. I live out in West Texas where the wind and sand blowing is almost a way of life. I have used a food grade silicon spray. It leaves very little residue and every so often I wipe the rods with alcohol to clean them up and re spray. I have done this the last year and have had no problems.
H.M. Wells

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Allan,

Its a adjustable gas lift cylinder. I can raise and lower it with just hte pul of a lever (like and office chair) and it has a smooth rotation to boot.

Ray

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray, Where did you get the cylinder? I like that set up. I also wanted to thank you & the other guys that led me to the microscope store for my scope, I love mine, One thing I was just thinking about while ready about the booms sticking, could you just use some car wax on the rods?

hmw, Where in West Texas are you from? I'm in Andrews, Dwayne

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
H.M. This food grade silicon spray, does it have a brand name. I'm kind of scared to spray something on it. That's how I ruined the last one. I used teflon spray.
Mike

hmw

Yea Mike, this stuff is made by Seymore, the paint people. I have used in on paddlocks on gates that are exposed to the elements. I hadnt had it get gummy or really attract any crud. I do tho, wipe the boom with alcohol or any cleaner every so often and re spray just to be sure I dont have any problem. The way this stuff sprays on and the residule evaporates, it reminds me of a teflon spray.