New guy drawing

armed

Soooo I've never touched a graver,but everything I've read said to start drawing.....so I've tried it...no idea what I'm doing only picking up what I find from pictures and vids. I really want to know what you guys think (don't pull no punches, I got big shoulders I can take it hahaha)
I'm signed up for the beginner class at GRS in May, if everything is open by then?!?! I guess some guy named Sam.... something is teaching it?? Hahaha
These are my first two drawings, the third is my 9yo I think she did really well!!!!
I've never been an artist, been mechanic my whole life...so for me this is way out of my comfort zone hahaha

Please let me know what you think!!!
Thanks all!!!! 20200328_114455.jpg 20200329_084723.jpg 20200328_122412.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to this learning center. first off, i would practice drawing just the scroll spine or backbone as some call it. you need to create perfect spirals first. if you have scroll with flat spots or lumps, anything you add to that wont really be very good. there are many books and videos available that show just how it's all done. best of luck

armed

thanks monk, I really don't know anything about it, but figured you got to start just don't it, f---ing it up and learning hahaha
Don't have any idea how to draw perfect scroll spirals....but I'll work on it!!!!

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
First, much better than my early drawings..... and yes, you are on the right path with drawing first. Keep up the good work.

a couple of points though :

1) This is a pretty complex design for early on. A better simple design is more pleasing than a complex poor design. However, with that said if drawing more complex designs keeps you from getting bored and starting to cut then by all means keep pushing yourself with the more complex designs.
2) if the green scroll on the bottom (see my pic) is supposed to be a “C” scroll then remember that it always runs in one direction from beginning to end so the red scroll exits are going in the wrong direction. If the green scroll on the bottom is intended to be two separate scrolls starting from the border then the direction is not off however the size is. See point 3 for clarification.
3) the general rule is that a scroll exiting from another cannot be larger than the original. (See the blue lines in my pic) for illustration purposes look at any bush or tree, a limb growing from a branch cannot be larger than the branch it is growing from, right? Any exception in the wild is probably from a deformity of some kind which you don’t want to emulate anyway.....

BTW, the top picture is more interesting than the one I picked on. The leaf structures are better, you have added folds and shading and the balance seems pretty good. However, even though it is only one scroll it is still pretty complicated with leaves coming off the border as well as leaves on the inside and outside of the scroll. If this approach keeps you interested then great, but if you get frustrated then you can consider backing up to less complications so you can spend more time drawing a better scroll, leaves, and shading.

just one opinion, Dan

Attachments

• 47E66828-1679-48B3-B1C5-C5FBD9B4B81A.jpeg
    47E66828-1679-48B3-B1C5-C5FBD9B4B81A.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 47

armed

First, much better than my early drawings..... and yes, you are on the right path with drawing first. Keep up the good work.

a couple of points though :

1) This is a pretty complex design for early on. A better simple design is more pleasing than a complex poor design. However, with that said if drawing more complex designs keeps you from getting bored and starting to cut then by all means keep pushing yourself with the more complex designs.
2) if the green scroll on the bottom (see my pic) is supposed to be a “C” scroll then remember that it always runs in one direction from beginning to end so the red scroll exits are going in the wrong direction. If the green scroll on the bottom is intended to be two separate scrolls starting from the border then the direction is not off however the size is. See point 3 for clarification.
3) the general rule is that a scroll exiting from another cannot be larger than the original. (See the blue lines in my pic) for illustration purposes look at any bush or tree, a limb growing from a branch cannot be larger than the branch it is growing from, right? Any exception in the wild is probably from a deformity of some kind which you don’t want to emulate anyway.....

BTW, the top picture is more interesting than the one I picked on. The leaf structures are better, you have added folds and shading and the balance seems pretty good. However, even though it is only one scroll it is still pretty complicated with leaves coming off the border as well as leaves on the inside and outside of the scroll. If this approach keeps you interested then great, but if you get frustrated then you can consider backing up to less complications so you can spend more time drawing a better scroll, leaves, and shading.

just one opinion, Dan
Dan thanks a lot!!! Just what I was looking for!!

1: I'll try to keep it down!! But it is fun trying to see what you can fit hahaha these were my first two drawings ever for this kind of stuff....so I probably should have taken it easy

2: I see what you mean about the scrolls being bigger than the one it came off, but I thought that scrolls coming out of other scrolls were supposed to go the opposite direction?!?!

3: totally understand the sizing thing it looks like I did that a lot hahaha

Again I want to thank you, very helpful!!!!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks monk, I really don't know anything about it, but figured you got to start just don't it, f---ing it up and learning hahaha
Don't have any idea how to draw perfect scroll spirals....but I'll work on it!!!!
you can get samples on google/images/scroll/linne drawings.

Latest posts

Sponsors