New Hermes Engravograph Questions

Ecomma

Thread starter #1
I own a New Hermes Engravograph model GM. I think it is one of the portable models. It was made in the mid 1950 and is in mint condition. I am wanting to make engraved plastic signs for various uses. I also recently bought the New Hermes beveling machine. I have a couple questions regarding the cutters for these machines. The machine came with two cutters, one for plastic and a diamond tipped one for engraving motorless on metals. The plastic engraving cutter has a knurled round knob which has lefthanded threads that screws into the cutting spindle which the motor turns (sorry if i'm not up on the terminology) The knurled knob has the cutter rod passing through it and locked with a set screw. The set screw is unlike one which I have seen, I thought it was just a small allen head, however it appears to be a different type of head. Can anyone give any information on what type of head this set screw has?

My next question concerns the nose cone. I am trying to achieve a deeper cut into plastic with the cutter. Since it is locked down with the set screw mentioned above, I have no way of extending the cutter into the nose cone. I've tried gently tapping the cutter rod down with a small ball peen hammer and have been successful with extending the cutter through the locked knurled knob. I'm sure the nose cone has limitations on how far the cutter can protrude through.

Just learning here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

John B.

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The old New Hermes catalog lists two Wrenches. OLD Catalog date 1987.
#31-210-00 for Cutters
#31-202-00 for Diamond
I believe that Anteres (spelling) may now carry them as they provide the cutters etc.
New Hermes has quit, I believe. Monk (Jay) on the forum may know for sure,

Ecomma

Thread starter #3
The old New Hermes catalog lists two Wrenches. OLD Catalog date 1987.
#31-210-00 for Cutters
#31-202-00 for Diamond
I believe that Anteres (spelling) may now carry them as they provide the cutters etc.
New Hermes has quit, I believe. Monk (Jay) on the forum may know for sure,
Thanks John, I will check out Anteres on the internet.

Latest posts

Sponsors