New iGraver tutorial online - Coat of arms signet ring

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Follow along on a 25-photo tour of engraving a signet ring. They're challenging, exasperating, require a different approach than what you may be used to, and they'll make you a better engraver.

Coat of Arms signet ring tutorial

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 72

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Mr Alfano
Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge, and congatulations for opening the engraver s cafe, not one minute is lost while staying there.. You are a blessing for all kind of engravers, keep on the good work I will never forget your words...."as long there is chips on the floor!"
ps Do you have a dealer for your transfer wax and dvd in Switzerland?
Thanks again
Frank

Sam

Staff member
Hello Frank, and thanks for your kind words. They are much appreciated. Please visit the and participate in the Cafe often!

I will PM you about the other things. / ~Sam

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thank-You Sam that information is absolutely amazing. I'll be spending the better part of tomorrow trying to figure this out. This forum is really great and your tutorials are a God send for our new generation of engravers.
Thanks again
David

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sweeeeeeeet
Excellent tutorial. You just aren't going to stop are you. That puts cad-cam to shame. What I'm hearing from most guys using cad-cam is that they can't get good micro letters out of it. I had the same problem when I used it. A normal .005" end mill cuts to a depth of only .010" then it starts widening out. I have a specialty one that will cut .015" deep. But still with the shape of the end mill I don't think it wouldn't even be able to reach down in the shield without hitting the sides. You just can't get that quality out of cad-cam. Chalk one up for man over machine!
Sam I have one question do you print out the letters backward so you don't get mix up, cause I think that would suck getting done and have one letter not reversed.
Keep them coming, and thanks for sharing it with us.
Mike

Sam

Staff member
Mike: I definitely write or print out the letters backward, and this piece was no exception. In fact, I photographed the wax stamping they sent me, reversed in the computer and printed it out so I'd have something to go by for layout. In normal crest rings there's a banner at the bottom with a name or slogan inside. This one had lettering around the inside of the shield, and I'd not done one before. It was pretty confusing laying out that lettering! / ~Sam

Patternweldor

Hello Sam...
Thanks again for the very informative tutorial on the signet ring.all of these posts are a very real help, for the inspiration, and the satisfaction of the goals that one is attempting to achieve. To keep up with all of the great information that you, and the other folks are providing,I think everyone will be very busy practicing, my ancient gravermeister is going to have a stroke, trying to keep up.....!
Thanks very much everyone for the great contributions..
Chris..

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
Excellent tutorial! I got the Bergling book on Heraldic designs designs from GRS and it's a great resource for ideas and examples. I found some examples of my family crest on the Net, now I just need to dive in and do one. I think I'll start on a larger scale than the ring though. Thanks

mgdesigns

Sam:
Thank you for the most excellent tutorial. I have done a few family crests (5 for one local family) but not seals, reversed as this one is. Now I understand a lot better what I have to do in the future. The hardest part I had to do was sinking the shield and getting it flat. Now I know which tools to get next, and hopefully how to use them correctly.

Great job.

Mark in Nashville, TN

Deland

Hello Sam,
I was wondering why you didn't transfer the whole design of the coat of arms on all at once? I could see that you wouldn't want the image in the center of the shield as it is cut at a lower level. But why not the helmet and ornamentation outside the shield? Just personal preference or is there something else that is happening here?
Thanks!

Sam

Staff member
Deland: I suppose I could have transferred the rest of the design had I had it in my computer, but I only took the time to draw the shield in the computer so it would be as even as possible. For everything else it's faster (for me) just to sketch and engrave. / ~Sam

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
Practice plate of Coat of Arms

This is my first attempt at a Coat of Arms. I didn't succeed in making it reversed for imprinting. This one is 1" x 0.5", I'm now going to try it on a Zippo. It'll be smaller and have some sort of scroll (mantel?)around it. Comments/Suggestions/Insults are welcome! ;{ )

Attachments

• Coat of Arms Dec 06.jpg
    Coat of Arms Dec 06.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Sponsors