Announcement: New, Know Nothing

WVJohn4544

Bought a New Hermes GTX diamond drag in excellent shape at a thrift shop, $75. Make muskets from scratch. Have lots of stuff, in a complete wood and metal shop. Have a digital microscope used to solder circuit boards, electrical engineer. Have every hand carving tool known to man. Interested in how one transfers a picture using the GTX. Also, how are templates made for the GTX. 3EBCFDEF-B78D-4F62-8F86-6C090A25AEC3.jpeg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i can instruct you on methods of creating yer own templates for your gtx. somewhere in the archive i posted a few fotos of ones i've made the transfer technique is quite easy. shoot me a pm. i can help you. the gtx was a steal at $ 75. btw, welcome to the forum.

monk

Staff member
roger finds plexiglas easy to work. i have found common engravers ( machine ) plastic cuts way smoother. an added advantage is the color contrast between surface and the core color. i've even done many using 6 x 12" x .062" aluminum. not recommended tho, as the stuff is kinda cranky to cut.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
One way my father did it many years ago when he had an engraving shop and had to engrave company logos or design. You enlarge the design then put it over a stiff card stock then go over it with a leather cutting swivel knife. He had done leather work for years and was pretty good at the process. Care was truly needed. I had some of his old stock designs and they were cut very well.
Eric

monk

Staff member
One way my father did it many years ago when he had an engraving shop and had to engrave company logos or design. You enlarge the design then put it over a stiff card stock then go over it with a leather cutting swivel knife. He had done leather work for years and was pretty good at the process. Care was truly needed. I had some of his old stock designs and they were cut very well.
Eric
believe it or not, many years ago template material was sold for this very purpose. it was made using recycled egg cartons. it was ok for very limited use. useless for more than maybe a dozen tracings, or for highly detailed templates.

Latest posts

Sponsors