Critique Request New member..."first practice plate"

vanLanen

Hallo Marc!

welcome to the forum.
you got some nice drawings there, not much I can comment on tho, I’m as green as they come, haha. The only thing that catches my eye in the design that you posted last, are the leaf buds on the beginning and end of the scrolls, they seems a bit big and empty.
i do see, in your (guitar pick?) design more details there.

oh and I love tattoos, getting them atleast, haha. so pretty curious about your work now...
Do you post it somewhere?

Cheers,
Thomas

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Hallo Marc!

welcome to the forum.
you got some nice drawings there, not much I can comment on tho, I’m as green as they come, haha. The only thing that catches my eye in the design that you posted last, are the leaf buds on the beginning and end of the scrolls, they seems a bit big and empty.
i do see, in your (guitar pick?) design more details there.

oh and I love tattoos, getting them atleast, haha. so pretty curious about your work now...
Do you post it somewhere?

Cheers,
Thomas
Thanks Thomas,

I left the buds slightly oversize so I can actually cut them and shade them. This will be a practice plate and need some room for the shading. Only just starting out, so the other design(plectrum) is wat too small and intricate to cut for now. It will be cut when I get more graver control.
Right now I am working without a microscope and bad lighting. Especially the fine lines when shading sparkle like crazy and I can't see what I am doing. Hoping that will change when my micrscope comes in. Not saying I will improve just by the microscope, but it should help me seeing things alot better.

I suck at social media, but I have some tattoos over on instagram. Just look for oniemarc, you should be able to find me.

vanLanen

Thanks Thomas,

I left the buds slightly oversize so I can actually cut them and shade them. This will be a practice plate and need some room for the shading. Only just starting out, so the other design(plectrum) is wat too small and intricate to cut for now. It will be cut when I get more graver control.
Right now I am working without a microscope and bad lighting. Especially the fine lines when shading sparkle like crazy and I can't see what I am doing. Hoping that will change when my micrscope comes in. Not saying I will improve just by the microscope, but it should help me seeing things alot better.

I suck at social media, but I have some tattoos over on instagram. Just look for oniemarc, you should be able to find me.
shading...public enemy number one, haha.
I’ll check on Instagram for the tattoos, thanks.
what kind of engraving system are you using, I see a interesting unfamiliar handpiece in your profile picture, is that homemade?

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
The one in the picture is homemade...Shaun Hughes, Rick Alexander, that type of pneumatic system. Also have another continueous air system, which is somewhat "looked down" on, hahaha. Would love a Lindsay palmcontrol one day...but let's face it, when starting out, that's alot of cash to drop. Especially if you might not even like doing this.
Saving up....more saving....even more saving and eventually I will own some premium gear. For now, I am more than happy. Everything works great as far as I can tell and will find the limitations soon enough...hahaha

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
So...had some time this weekend to start cutting on the first version. Got a bit too confident at the very end and egg-shaped and flatspotted a few lines. Which.....well.....sucks, hahaha. Anyways....I think this is an improvement nonetheless over the last plate.

Next up...shading and the other plate... 20210419_125343.jpg 20210419_125834.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors