Ronan

Hello

I joined this forum a while ago and never got around to posting. Anyway i live in Ireland, have an interest in older firearms, especially British and Irish made shotguns, and also falling block rifles. The engraving on these older guns has always interested me, and is a skill that i would love to learn.

I am a machinist/metal worker by trade, and have often used very small chisels in metal removal on projects, where machining tools, or filing was impractical. This is why i would like to try to learn Hammer and chisel engraving, because i have experience of metal removal this way.

Tools are something i would like to make myself, the gravers, hammer and maybe a vise of some type.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Welcome to the Cafe, Ronan.
With your experience in metal working and tool making you have a good leg up on your ride to engraving knowledge.
Sam Alfano, the Cafe owner has just created a video on Hammer and Chisel engraving. I have not seen it yet. But anything Sam does is first class and I would recommend buying a copy.
You might also consider joining FEGA as an International member.
Our historian C. Roger Bleile may be able to direct you to other firearms engravers in Ireland.
A quick look at their setup would be a big help to you.
Best of luck to you on your engraving journey.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. you're already over half the usual hurdles by being a machinist. there are some woh think making ones' own tools is a waste of time. true for a person with a heavy backlog. for a dude such as yourself, why not make yer own . good luck, and show us what you come up with.

Latest posts

Sponsors