David J Brown

Hi, I am a retired submariner and master woodworker . I live in eastern MS. I really want to learn this art and I really have no idea where to start except by reading books. I ordered the art of engraving from Brownells . Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated
Thank y’all in advance!!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
David, welcome to the wonderful world of engraving.
The Art of Engraving and joining the Cafe Forum is a good start.
Slow down and figure out what type of engraving and tools you would like to pursue.
Once you have those directions in mind you will greatly benefit and speed up your learning curve from an class or two in engraving.
Best wishes to you on your engraving journey and thank you for your service.
PS, please post where you are located in your member file, easier to direct you to local help.

David J Brown

Thank you John, and it was my pleasure,

You are right about slowing down. I’ve been jumping around three different forums for a week trying to make sense of it all. I really want to engrave firearms. And I know that I am a long way from that.
I believe that a palm type engraver is the direction that I am leaning towards and quality tools are a must.
I have many years as a woodworker have been published, won awards, have copyrights, and at one time had items in all of America’s top 10 Galleries. None of this happened overnight . I read a lot studied with the masters and surrounded myself with like minded people.
This time I do not plan to do this for a living
I’m going to do this for me.
I live in Lauderdale MS and I thought I had filled it out when I joined lol, I’ll fix it.

V/R

David

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David,
I peck on English and American muzzleloading rifles occasionally and have the full complement of tools, equipment, and books. I am a couple of hours drive from you. If you would like to drive up for a day, and try everything I'm sure I can help you get started in the right direction. It would probably help you from floundering around on the internet searching for answers.
PM me if interested.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
There you go David.
Help is closer than you thought. Thank you for reaching out to help DKanger.
And David. Scott Pilkington is in Tennessee and holds an open door Engrave Inn each year.
You can meet many top engraves and see and try a huge spread of tools.
Look forward to seeing some of your work later.
Join FEGA and come the the Vegas Show in January if possible.
You will meet and get advice from some of the top firearms engravers.

David J Brown

There you go David.
Help is closer than you thought. Thank you for reaching out to help DKanger.
And David. Scott Pilkington is in Tennessee and holds an open door Engrave Inn each year.
You can meet many top engraves and see and try a huge spread of tools.
Look forward to seeing some of your work later.
Join FEGA and come the the Vegas Show in January if possible.
You will meet and get advice from some of the top firearms engravers.

John b thanks again!
I joined FEGA last night and paid my dues
Just waiting for the credentials to be logged so that log in.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Good deal David. You are well on your way with everything ship-shape.
Just as a matter of interest, one of our famous tool makers. Ray Phillips of Ngraver Co is a submarine engineer and worked for the Navy at the Groton. CT. submarine base.
The Navy holds many patents on things that Ray invented for the nuclear sub's during the Cold War. Unfortunately Ray's engraving tool business is not as active now as it once was.
Wish you could meet him, a nicer guy you will never find.

monk

Staff member
welcome. your background has no doubt given you the discipline of persistence. some pick up a bit more quickly thn others, but the time spent is always rewarding. good luck in your pursuit.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
David, Ray Phillips invented and developed the Magnagraver machine during the time he was employed in the US Navy shipyards.
Being a Navy inventor. everything Ray invented and patented belonged to the Navy.
As the Magnagraver was a spare time project at that time Ray applied for an exemption to the Navy ownership.
The Navy pursued and obtained an actual Act of Congress to transfer the invention back into Ray's personal name. The only know example of this happening.
That is an indication of the esteem Ray held in the submarine service.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Greetings David welcome to the form. I can’t wait to see the engraving bench that you will build for yourself. It sounds like you are going to be a driven person and that is going to be great. Explore the cafés extensive forms and how to. Art work drawing is very important so draw every chance you can. I will say that a class or two will help the learning curve greatly. I to was in the Navy, they put me in the Seabees because they simply can’t have a 6-foot leak aboard ship. My last name is Leak

David J Brown

Thanks Leak,
Reading like crazy right now before I make a purchase. Talked to a Gentleman today and learned a lot .
I’ve got an old rock maple and Paduk bench that I made in the early 90’s that may be of use.
Lol funny I tried to go in as a Seabee but they had an 8 month wait. So I learned that a machinist on the outside is not the same as one on a sub!!
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.
David

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David drove up to my place this past Saturday. I tried to cram as much learning as possible in the 8 hours we had together. I fear I may have overwhelmed him. I hope not but will be interested in his perspective now that he's had a couple of days to cogitate on it.

David J Brown

Mr. Kanger opened his studio and his home to me . We talked about many , many things , I took a lot of notes!! And looked at an extensive library.
I made 2 push gravers, and learned the importance of very precise angles.
I had the opportunity to use a hammer an chisel and a Linsey pneumatic. I was given expert guidance the entire time.
I wounded brass, copper, and mild steel and I believe I heard a chuckle a time or two!
I saw a great collection of fine engraving examples by Mr. Kanger.
Overwhelmed no determined yes !
I am very happy and grateful that I had this opportunity
Thank you!!

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
That was nice of Mr. Kanger to blindly open his home and studio to you. It is rare to find that kind of trust these days. That is just an example of the wonderful people you meet in the engraving world. I wish you well, good luck.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had tried to have everything ready to maximize David's time, but things go awry. I wanted to show him how to make transfers using Tom White's system, so he could have some to take home for later practice. I knew I had new ink cartridges in the printer, but I hadn't used it for quite a while. When we got ready to print on the film, it was a no go. The ink had hardened on the printer head and wouldn't work.

I was fooling around with it yesterday and wiped the print heads down with alcohol. Problem fixed, but too late for him.

Latest posts

Sponsors