Help, please: New to the Art

trav0_31

Hello everyone,
I’m new to engraving and interested in engraving car parts (low riders) and maybe a few firearms later on.
I am currently practicing on my sons balance bike, but am having trouble (not sure if my setup is correct for this application), I currently have a GRS GraverMax G8, QC 901 hand piece, GraverHone VS and a California Air compressor/8gal. I’m not able to get the deep consistent cuts I’d like. Not sure if my gravers angles are ok for what I’m doing (90,105 and Flat. Standard angles)
Any suggestions on what I can do or my set up?
Wrong hand piece?
More/less SPM?
Different graver angles?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. i'm not sure about the gmax. what metals are you engraving ? show closeup fotos of the graver points. that could provide some idea why you're having trouble. btw-- engraving that's properly done need not be very deep. a lot of what appears to be deep is an illusion provided by background treatment and shading.

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
If your compressor is from GRS, I guess I am using the same.
I received it a few years ago, and had power/strength problems with it.
GRS advised me how to set the compressor's output on a higher level, and that solved the problem.
Unfortunately I can't recall what I had to do, it was a few years ago.
Please, call GRS and they will tell You how to proceed.
I wish You the best of luck, starting engraving might be the best choice in your life.
Greetings.
PS I guess You look much younger in real life than on your picture...

Latest posts

Sponsors