New work: J.Mitchell MoP Slipjoin folder engraved by me. 24k wire inlay, diamond setting

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I like this as well but I have a problem with the shading inside the gold inlaid scrolls. For me it doesn't harmonize with the fine shading on the leaves. Just doesn't have the finesse of the leaf shading which I really like.

I don't do scroll engraving in my work, I do lettering for jewelers, so take that into consideration. Again, I like the engraving. I couldn't do this work myself and wouldn't mind owning this knife. But that just jumps out at me and thought I would mention it.

Allan

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
I like this as well but I have a problem with the shading inside the gold inlaid scrolls. For me it doesn't harmonize with the fine shading on the leaves. Just doesn't have the finesse of the leaf shading which I really like.
Allan
Hello Allan.
I don't see any shading on the gold scrolls, just outlining cuts.
And very well done, as is the shading on the leaves.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
John

I'm a big fan of her work.. She has a knife, and Sarah, I'm sorry if I shouldn't use this picture without your permission. But it's fabulous and has a prehistoric type crocodile on one side that's truly great. But if you look at the scroll from this knife you see the same shading but it falls within the scroll ball end and becomes the inside of the scroll and it just looks great. It gives it a sense of being more complete. I just don't get that with the scrolls in the engraving above.

I don't do scroll engraving so I'm no expert in the mechanics. Maybe its the inlaid scroll that doesn't allow for the completeness of the scroll like in this photo. And once again, I like the engraving, its cut very well and I wouldn't mind owning that knife.

Oh, and this is not about the knife but I read your post on the transparency paper topic and went to ebay and found one of the canon laser printers that you mentioned. I was looking to upgrade from inkjet transfers since there are some problems using it with jewelry. I wasn't really sure what kind of printer to get. Thanks for the post. Came in handy.

Allan
20211106_134309.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors