Question: Newbie Help!

Ed Douglas

Greetings!
I'm a newbie! I mean a brand new "Newbie" I am really interested in getting started! My Interests in engraving is the american style of engraving as seen on Patchboxes and inlays of the "Golden Age"
and earlier American Longrifles. I am not interested in power engraving, but rather in the hammer/chisel
method. my question is, What do I need to get started?? what Gravers will I use the most? I was told
by an old engraver "Charlie Baker" that 80% is done with a square carbide? is this right? help me out Pards!
Ed Douglas.

D.Ellis

Hi Ed,
Welcome to the fray:)
I also use hammer and chisel and like the traditional low tech method. I like the steel belgian style handles from Ngraver and mostly use square and flat gravers made of high speed steel. I also use a vise mounted to a post that I can walk around rather than the more modern methods of turntable or gravers ball.Someone with more expertise will chime in soon to better inform you.
Darcy

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, Ed and Darcy

I too started out years ago engraving to old way and did a few floor plates for the 98 Mausers.
I used a fixed vise and hammer and Chisel. The tools I used for scrolls 90% of the time were the Onglette, in different sizes. These I could roll and and vary the width of the line for a bright cut effect. Then again I was self taught and don't know if I was doing it right or not. Like you said Darcy, I am sure some of the better engravers will chime in and give you the right direction.
I ordered my supplies from Brownell's. At that time they had everything I thought I needed to start. I bought James Meeks book back then and even talked to him on the phone. He was a great help in the sharping area especially.
Don't know if this helps or not but it's my 2 cents worth.
Good luck and show us some pictures as you progress.
Carl

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You need a very stable vise up about (approximately) elbow height standing. You need a square blank (high speed or carbide) A handle of about 4 to 6 inches,wood or steel. (I use wood), and a chasing hammer.

An onglette is hard to learn to sharpen and learning how to do that with either a square or onglette will be your most difficult task at first, unless you get a power hone and calibrated sharpening system. (dual angle or whatever).

If you wish to learn to sharpen by hand, the McKenzie method is the easiest. (glass Hard steel rod and stone).

These are some of the very basic needs. You can do an awful lot of work with just one blade. That is all you need at first to gain the practice (never-ending).

Hope this gets you started,................. and ask a lot of questions when you have problems. Engraving is not anything you have ever learned. It is total hand eye co-ordination and design knowledge, unless you are just going to copy what is out there i.e., traditional engraving. It is usually pretty simple basically, on most American made muzzle loaders with some exceptions.

Ron

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the steel handles from Ngraver and find I need to cut them down shorter just a bit. But that is no problem. I would recommend using a 90 degree (square) tool either HS or carbide. Really think just the HS would work just fine. You might also want to try somethig a tad wider like a 105 V tool and of course a flat graver. For hammer work I like using a turntable set up rather than hunch over and walk around it.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Ed, welcome to the wonderful world of engraving and the Cafe.
You got some great advice from everyone here.
I go about 100% with what Darcy said, handles, post vise and HS steel gravers.
You might also consider a potters wheel type bench to work on smaller stuff while seated.
Best of luck and enjoy your engraving journey.

John B.

Ed Douglas

Thanks Pards!

Thanks for both the welcom and the advice! I am a somewhat acomplished
Leather Carver, and I would like to add engraving to my list of interests as well!
it has always facinated me,I have been wanting to learn it for many years now.
I guess, as the saying goes,, "I ain't gettin no younger"! and winters are long and
cold here in northern Illinois! Thanks again! keep the tips coming Pards! I need all
the advice/help I can get! :>)
Ed Douglas.

Latest posts

Sponsors