Nick and Dot Engraving

Brian Arthur

Hi-

I am new to engraving, and am restoring a Parker VH shotgun made in 1900. There is nick and dot engraving on the barrel; I have included 2 photos to show the details. How did the original engravers do this?

My apologies if this has been answered before, and thanks in advance for any tips. Note I am teaching myself using hand gravers and a hammer.

Brian

Nick and Dot.jpg VH Barrel Engraving.jpg

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Brian I saw your pictures of the barrels on the Parker forum,a good start would be to hand polish the barrels take care of the pitting before any engraving is done. J.J.

Bismuth

If I may suggest, get yourself a copy of ”Engraving historic firearms” by John Schippers. It has fool proof instructions how to cut various borders including nick n dot and it’s variations. You will find this book a true treasure for sure.

Brian Arthur

Thanks for the recommendation of Schippers book.

The barrel I am refinishing is polished and ready to be engraved. The pictures I provided were of a second firearm which still showed the nick and dot engraving as an example.

I've tried a couple of techniques, but don't believe I have found "the right way". I would expect the engravers would have done something very fast, as this was Parker's lowest grade of gun. So far my attempts require too many cuts for me to believe I am using the correct approach.

Brian

tolesh

are there any tutorial on this? the man wanting to try to do this, please help him.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Brian needs to get with an engraver and take some lessons before he screws up an expensive set of Parker barrels,he's never engraved but wants practice on a Parker. J.J.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Lyndon McKenzie in one of his videos (Beginning Engraving) goes into great detail about how to do nick and dot engraving using hammer and chisel.

Brian Arthur

Thank you Highveldt for the recommendation on Lynton McKenzie videos- there's a wealth of knowledge there!

I found a good description of Nick and Dot on p 53 of Schipper's book, so thanks to Bismuth for that recommendation.

I appreciate the help!

Brian

monk

Staff member
you say you are new to the art. i mean no disrespect for your intentions, but i think you should build some level of skill before attempting such a job. why not get in some serious practice and then do a replica gun first ?

Brian Arthur

Hi Monk-

I'm doing A LOT of practice on practice plates. I have no intention of screwing up a gun :)

One of the dangers of asking others for help is I expose myself to ridicule. I accept that as the cost of learning.

It's almost embarrassing to ask the people on this forum for help, as the level of skill displayed is truly remarkable, and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of rolled eyes when I ask for guidance on something as simple as nick and dot engraving.

I am very appreciative though, of those that provide guidance and advice.

Brian

Sponsors