Not an Elephant, but a Whale of a Tale

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here is one I finished up a while back. Its a Joe Kious, handle length is 3 3/8" long. The theme is Moby Dick, which correlates with the antique whale tooth handle inlay. I tried to catch as much drama in the scenes as I could and depict the shear rage in Ahabs' face in the left hand scene and his determination in the other scene. Besides the drama it was key that I gain as much depth in the scenes as possible. To help gain that illusion, I added the small boat and man flipping into the water, this clues the viewer into the size and distance of the whales tail, waves, etc. The scroll work is liberty scroll, and I thought the dots, which sort of look like bubbles, played well with the theme. Any comments good,bad, or other wise are welcome. Thanks for taking a look. Brian

ARM2

SIR BRIAN "THE TALENTED"
We would have bestowed Knighthood on U long ago in lieu of these magnificent pieces of endeavour.
'Tis not too late Sire.
Just go on with these exquisite creations.
All the best
aRM

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"To help gain that illusion, I added the small boat and man flipping into the water, this clues the viewer into the size and distance of the whales tail, waves, etc."
Brian you could have added some scrim to Ahab's leg to add even more dimension.
Just kidding, no I'm not.
It's a monumental piece of work.
Kevin P.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Nice knife Brian .... there's only one little thing missing that would make it a tad more dramatic and distinctive of your work and that would be to get Captain Ahab on some steroids. :) Maybe a smokin' hot babe in the skiff too but that might be going overboard (no pun intended). Seriously ... you nailed it ... I can just hear Ahab calling "....for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!"

Last edited:

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Chris. yep, there is an upcoming committee investigation to look into the allegations of performance enhancing drug use by some of my characters, as well as the supposed augmentation of other characters. In their defense, I will officially state the products used are totally natural and FDA approved. Yes, Poseidon nickers like a horse and tears up the locker room occasionally, but that is not roid rage.....it's.....it's.....phsycosnatisism....yeah that's it and DD's are natural on a 115lb woman, happens all the time. :)

I will admit, I have a pretty fun job, and feel fortunate to be given a loose rein, so to speak, by my clients, to use my imagination. I love engraving knives because most anything goes, if it is well done, it will grab somebodies attention. I have had thoughts that I would like to engrave the occasional high end double gun, but after all the fun of putting together my various scenes of sex and/or violence on the knives, depicting birds and dogs may seem pretty bland.

Thanks all for the kind reviews. Regards. Brian

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
That is superb :)

I just wonder.. did you draw your scrollwork on by hand? can`t imagine how difficult getting a smudge free transfer on something like that might be.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Big B,I saw this when you first posted this and held off commenting till I just couldn't resist.I have to agree it is one whaleofablade,I couldn't believe how complex the inlaid scrolls and lively the scenes are. As always,beautiful work Brian.wish I could have a knife that you engraved someday!!!!

Latest posts

Sponsors