One year to Master?

I’m almost 9 months into a serious part time addiction. I think in another 50 years I’ll have all y’all beat- problem is I’m part ogre and 44 years old- us big ‘uns rarely make it to 94…

AJB

Mike576, I couldn’t agree more. I took up engraving as a hobby, so I only engrave for the joy of it. I engrave almost every day in order to improve, but I have no plans to go overboard and lose the enjoyment that it brings.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Becoming a master is a lifelong journey! Every new project has it's challenges, and each time I feel like a beginner all over again! It's a very humbling experience. I always fall somewhat short of the mark. If you keep growing and challenging yourself as an artist, you're always striving to get better, perhaps in your mind, you never become a master, which by definition could also have an egotistical component to it. The mastery of certain skills of a trade would qualify one to call themselves a master craftsman. Nevertheless, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Everyone has a different aesthetic sense, and the concept of being a master can be somewhat of an intangible! You have to always put in your time, pay your dues, get an incredible amount of experience. There really is no time frame for this! It takes as long as it takes. Everybody is different. Finished no, only just begun! My teacher said " Consider each finished project, a starting/launching off point and inspiration for the next." Get the most you can out of each artistic endeavor, striving to continually improve your craftsmanship, and acquisition of the technical skills required. And in time your diligent efforts and high standards will be reflected in the increasing quality/level of your work. The satisfaction comes each time in the surprising outcome you have achieved , when you feel you have taken each assignment as far as you can with your current skillset.

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leave some room for the devil to escape! The human element must not be overlooked, because perfection is unachievable! ...And in the end what is perfection, but a nebulous possibility, as perceived in the higher powers, beyond our comprehension! When we depart from that sense of reality, perceived perfection, that is when we open up the satisfying opportunities that make the pursuit of art worthwhile, more purposeful, and achievable!

Last edited:

Robertct

It is commonly assumed that it takes 10,000 hours to become a master at any skill. 8 hours a day would take him almost 3 1/2 years to reach master status. This is assuming he is working under The guidance of a master. Self taught might take longer and actually may prevent you from ever reaching master status. Think of all the bad habits and poor techniques you might pick up on this journey.
Another less heard theory is that you can learn 80% of a masters skill in 20% of the time, it’s that last 20% that take a special person, and time. So 20% of 10000 is 2000 hours which would take about one year.
just my cliff claven mind thinking out loud again

It is commonly assumed that it takes 10,000 hours to become a master at any skill. 8 hours a day would take him almost 3 1/2 years to reach master status. This is assuming he is working under The guidance of a master. Self taught might take longer and actually may prevent you from ever reaching master status. Think of all the bad habits and poor techniques you might pick up on this journey.
Another less heard theory is that you can learn 80% of a masters skill in 20% of the time, it’s that last 20% that take a special person, and time. So 20% of 10000 is 2000 hours which would take about one year.
just my cliff claven mind thinking out loud again
Cliff Raven the tattooer?

Latest posts

Sponsors