Out of the ordinary things to engrave on a gun

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
A retired college professor ask me to engrave a spore on his 1874 C. Sharps. He discovered this spore in Venezuela in the 90's on top of one of the many tepuis (flat top mountains such as the one Angel Falls is on) while searching for new biological species. He named it Seimatoantlerium tepuiense for the antler looking "head" that attaches itself to birds for dissemination, and the type of place it was found. It shows potential as a cancer treating substance.

The reference material he loaned me was marked 5000x on the back - taken with an electron microscope.
DSC00934-22.jpg
He shoots his 45-70 nearly every week and his apparently good enough to ring the 400 yard gong off-hand quite frequently.
Oh yeah - he'll be 80 this year!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bizarre but cool. The engraving is great, but I have a feeling that the resale value of this firearm is somewhat limited. There aren't a lot of potential customers that get a warm and fuzzy feeling for spores!

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the comments and likes.

Bizarre but cool. The engraving is great, but I have a feeling that the resale value of this firearm is somewhat limited. There aren't a lot of potential customers that get a warm and fuzzy feeling for spores!

Mark,
While I have to agree that spore related collectors are an exceptionally small group - this client was as excited as any any I've every had when they picked up their newly engraved item. That included paying more than I ask, and returning the next day with a gift for me!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
One of my clssroom mantra's was "Nobody Needs an engraved gun."
They just want one. And they sometimes just want what they want.
A satisfied client is the name of the game.
Not every job has to make artistic or economic sense.
Well done Gordon. Bet he will sing your praises and bring you other clients.

Ausmithe

I can imagine this gun will mean even more to the lucky family member that inherits it. Nice work. Great to see something that truly has meaning to the customer engraved so nicely.

Latest posts

Sponsors