Out the window

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
I designed this with lots of elements flowing behind each other, particularly behind the border. It reminds me of looking out a window at the scroll. Plate is 3" long.

CC welcomed.

Attachments

• Dirle_engraving5-25SM.jpg
    Dirle_engraving5-25SM.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 204

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think the design loses something when the scrolls go behind borders like that. Good effort, but I would much prefer to see the entire scroll backbone contained within the borders.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My windows are straight and square. You'd think a guy would learn to do straight lines before doing curves.:beat up:

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think its pretty cool what you have going on. I don't like the small scroll in the top right corner as it is somehow way out of place, but all the others look cool and I also like the window effect.

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
Tnx! The 'window' effect was my creativity running free. Ron suggested I recut it without going behind the borders, too. I'll repost it if I do.

Jim,
Tnx! I'm just learning how to do those 'tear drops.'

DK,
Tnx! I agree. I need to get better at lots of stuff. But these lines do really detract from the design.

East,
Tnx! I think If I had it cut right, and had the border really straight, the window effect might be a little more acceptable.

KS,
Tnx! Yep!

I can see a greater confidence in your cuts. I have never seen a post admitting it, but I think the straight lines are the most difficult. Two parallel straight lines are even worse. The eye must constantly be comparing the information. I still marvel at the tiny borders the accomplished engravers maintain because of the accuracy of each individual cut. While the bulino is certainly my favorite part, it is the discipline needed to maintain this accuracy in the borders that I personally find amazing. We are also programmed to "read" these type of representations for interpretation. The window idea is a great temptation, sometimes it feels like there is not enough room to do what I want to design. I find it a struggle sometimes to separate the styles acceptable in other art forms from the more traditional inclination of engraving. I still suspect there are more implications involved visually that I still do not grasp or the design process itself would be easier for me to understand. I do much better when learning if I can understand why (the reasoning behind the rule). The rules do feel restrictive, but one certainly cannot argue with the results achieved by those using these rules as guides. You have come a long way already. I appreciate your postings because you allow us all to share in your mistakes and accomplishments.

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Theresa,
I agree wholeheartedly. Actually, (although you wouldn't know it from this plate) I do straight lines better than the curves.

There are lots of 'rules' that everyone pronounces, but then they do something different when they design/cut. But they know enough to make their 'stuff' beautiful.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Mike,
I am following your posts from the first one because I like your enthusiasm and dedication but there is something that I can not understand.
You showed a beautiful "pencil drawing of drapery" with a nice shading but you are not doing the same when engraving the scrolls.
Your shading looks more like a grid than a shade. You are filling the leaves with lines instead of placing it in the right places to achieve the shading effect. I mean, you want to highlight the folds creating a 3D effect.
What about trying to use the graver like a pencil, engraving the right lines in the right places?
I am sure that you can do this in the same way you shaded that drapery and your engravings will look a lot better and nicer taking care of this detail.
Best regards,
Leonardo.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm following your progress as well, have to agree with Sam about the scrolls going under the border. Anyway, you are making progress.

arnaud

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, I agree whole heatedly with Leonardo on your drawing skills. The art part is something that I struggle with but you seem to have a handle on that. Try to cut lighter and see if you are not fighting the tool more than you should. You can go over the line more than once if depth is something you are trying to achieve. I wonder if you can do scratch point drawing. If so use that technique to get your are work on the metal then cut your drawing lightly then deepen. Just a thought or two. You'll get there-Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors