Paperweight

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My gosh, Phil!!! I don't know what to say! That is simply amazing!!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
gorgeous, Phil! please tell us more about the objet- is it a box? what's it made of?

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
gorgeous, Phil! please tell us more about the objet- is it a box? what's it made of?

It's a solid paperweight, made from mild steel, 10.2 x 2.7 x 6.4cm, a present from a lady to her husband on his birthday, a change from engraving guns :)

Phil

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Man, I don't think that I have any papers worthy of being held down by such a fine work of art! I am curious as to why you elected to keep the antlers smooth, as opposed to textured. Was it just to increase the contrast with the scroll-work? Whatever the reason, it works!

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Seriously,A paper weight? Like I need to know more people that can buy those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super COOL Phil, almost like you had a Holiday from engraving guns!!!!

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Phil
Now that's a paperweight that won't get lost in a pile! I doubt that it would be on top of a pile for long ...... how could one not want to caress such beauty ...... for hours? a wonderful bit of work, thanks for keeping us in awe!
Mark

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
playing on a big, solid chunk of nice, soft, even, mild steel? i am so jealous...

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey, your getting pretty good at this engraving thing :)
Got some way to go yet Andrew :biggrin:

Actually, this is the second one that i've worked on, I gave the dimentions to the machine shop with a big "MILD STEEL" added, I worked on it for a day but it was so difficult to cut! I annealed it twice leaving it overnight to cool down only to find in the morning that it had strange colours on it....it was Stainless! It's a good thing that I found out then because colouring it on the sides would have been a BIG problem!

Phil

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I gave the dimentions to the machine shop with a big "MILD STEEL" added, ... only to find ....it was Stainless! Phil

i know that feeling all too well, Phil! the day is coming when i start telling machinists, welders, and other contract service providers, "This is what I want. This is EXACTLY what I want. Do NOT change ANYTHING without checking with me first. If you find what appears to be an error on my part, do NOT assume you are supposed to fix it without checking with me first. And IF IT IS AT ALL POSSIBLE, please do not SCREW UP ANYTHING ELSE IN THE PROCESS. I apologize for treating you as if you're a complete idiot, but too many complete idiots have come before you, thus necessitating these instructions. Thank you."

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The owner of this "paper" weight obviously needs the thing to hold down all the large bills he has just floating around. I love when objects like this surface from artists like you Phil. It rarely happens and reminds me of what came out of the Faberge shop. Simple everyday objects combined with amazing artistic talent. Well done sir!

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i know that feeling all too well, Phil! the day is coming when i start telling machinists, welders, and other contract service providers, "This is what I want. This is EXACTLY what I want. Do NOT change ANYTHING without checking with me first. If you find what appears to be an error on my part, do NOT assume you are supposed to fix it without checking with me first. And IF IT IS AT ALL POSSIBLE, please do not SCREW UP ANYTHING ELSE IN THE PROCESS. I apologize for treating you as if you're a complete idiot, but too many complete idiots have come before you, thus necessitating these instructions. Thank you."

What that man said :)

Phil

Sponsors