Pileated Woodpecker Pic

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i see them frequently in my area (it must be woodpecker heaven, because there are about eight species around here). it's fun to watch them try to eat peanut butter off a feeder built for much smaller birds, then fly to a nearby tree and use the bark for a napkin.

they're often seen in mated pairs and if you get a close look the girls have black mustaches (technical term is "malar") and the boys have red.

tough way to make a living, beating your face into a piece of wood. reminds me of engraving...

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I've only ever seen one and that was while deer hunting in Potter County Pa. The bird had an unusual flight pattern and an interesting call. Rather large bird.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
That is as cool as cool can get. My congrats to young downhiller., and to the papa who showed him. QUICK to get the puddle seen. Very cool. Thanks for sharing. paps

monk

Staff member
That is as cool as cool can get. My congrats to young downhiller., and to the papa who showed him. QUICK to get the puddle seen. Very cool. Thanks for sharing. paps
at first, he was very nervous when first doing this. i think the sound kind of spooked him. i tried to interest him in learning engraving.,but he showed little interest. oh well, i tried. the self darkening helmet was a blessing for any beginner to use. when i built my outside workshop,by design, there were over 2000 weld beads. i was not interested in snapping my cervicals, so i bought one. the framing was all steel angle iron.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
Yes they are pretty nice, the only thing I didn't like on the pipeline is when you looked into the sun they fired. If your in the fab shop they will do the same thing. Keep in mind this was 18-25 years ago. I understand they have progressed. I just use my hand now. The little man must have not be too affraid of the sparks at the onset? Most feel one and are immediately turned off to the idea of becomeing a molton metal minipulator. Please send pics of the shop and details please. My son took it in high school at the local tech center and was turned into a mentor 2 months after passing 5 tests, so he's initiated to the craft. paps

Latest posts

Sponsors