Playing around

Magnus Jensen

As a beginner in the art of engraving I could not help my self but biting of more then I can chew. So I decided to try out doing inlay with relief. So of I went with a piece of Titanium and 925 silver.
It was supposed to be a cockatoo ....:confused: never mind, it became some sort of bird-like "thing".
I learned some stuff along the way and it was fun carving!
I would relay like some feedback to be better of next time.

Magnus

Attachments

• fÃ¥gel (Small).jpg
    fågel (Small).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 202

Andrew Biggs

Hi Magnus

Fantastic.

One of the very best ways to learn something is to bite off more than you can chew and over extend yourself by getting out of your comfort zone. If you always stay with what's safe you end up stagnating and learn nothing new. It's our mistakes we often learn the most from.

Really well done. The next one will be better and the one after that better still.

Merry Christmas to you

Andrew

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Andrew you learn from your mistakes (not your successes). I'm impressed with your background it is so very even. Nice and your bird is also attractive. I think your doing well. Carry on with vigor!

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Magnus,
I always say if you show your work to people who know very little about engraving ,and they readily recognize what the object is ,its not too bad, it's when you show them a qual , and they say is that a duck?
then you might need to work on things a little harder. No matter what level a person attains there is always room for improvement. Nice work on your Cockatoo ,I 'm also curious how was the colour obtained?

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I remember one time when I had lunch with my brother and sister. I showed them an engraving I did of a nude woman with 3 tigers all mixed together. I spent 10 minutes explaining what things were, but their eyes were blank. They said how nice it was. Yah right.
The waitress came to take our orders so I showed her and said what do you think this is? She said "A nude woman and three tigers". She got a BIG tip.

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Now that's funny Glenn . Every once in while I'll show someone something that I think is pretty nice that I've made..... such as our qual we made in class .That comes to mind ,because this actually happened after I got back, anyway I showed it to this friend of mine he said that's nice is that a turkey? I said do you need my glasses take another look!!! Of course we both started laughing , he's the type of person that find humor
in that sort of stuff, at least I think he was kidding.

Magnus Jensen

The colour

The colour on the silver was obtained with a torch, from the back side of the titanium.
And since you got different hight´s on the silver in the front the heat has different distances to travel and therefor different stages of oxidation on the silver.

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Way to go Mangus -- I knew right off it was a Cockatoo. One day, I'll find the courage to post some of my first attempts. Keep it up!!

S~

Latest posts

Sponsors