Help, please: Please advise on engraving of paricularly hard steel (like revolver hammer)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
anneal, then engrave, last but not least--- heat treat the part. this may best be left to a pro that knows how it's done & has the right equipment. heat treating guns and their parts can be a risky undertaking.

jmishtenko

Thanks, Monk,
That was the thing, I don't know enough about. I have been offered to get it heat treated with the replacement of the hammer on me, should it go wrong. By the sound of it - get a spare hammer beforehand, or leave it as it is.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The moral of the store is: Don't start cutting until you know for certain that the article can be engraved. It's easy to make very expensive mistakes if you don't.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks, Monk,
That was the thing, I don't know enough about. I have been offered to get it heat treated with the replacement of the hammer on me, should it go wrong. By the sound of it - get a spare hammer beforehand, or leave it as it is.

there's a few members that do this. heat treating cylinders and other critical parts of a gun can lead to bad results when done improperly. in this instance, i'd err on the side of safety, rather than making things easier to engrave. your hammer is not critical. worst scenario would be the development of unwanted cracks.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have engraved them before. Increase you face angle and speed up your handpiece.