Poor Man's Starter Vise

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Here is a vise I made with a jeweler's hand held vise & a duck pin bowling ball. It was very inexpensive to make & it is very functional.

Attachments

• poor.mans.starter.vise.jpg
    poor.mans.starter.vise.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 442
  • poor.mans.starter.vise2.jpg
    poor.mans.starter.vise2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 443

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
monk,The duck pin bowling ball is 5" in diameter & the duck pins are about 10''don't think most folks ever saw a duck pin bowling alley.This vise I made is light and easy to take to the gun show to do a demo at my table,when I was a young boy I worked at the bowling alley Saturday & Sunday setting bowling pins jumping between two alleys that's before automatic pin setter. J.J.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I can't remember where it was but I saw duck pin bowling on TV recently. The lanes were very nice and looked relatively new with automatic pin setters. The last time I bowled duck pins was 50 years ago or so. I was surprised to know there was a place where it was still a sport where people compete.

monk

Staff member
thanks, jj. i have heard of those, but never saw such a ball. not many want to hear of such, but to this day i still use one for certain flat plate work. teho, i guess

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ
I have not seen a duck pin ball since the 50's. I also was pin setter boy. Had to be alert the some customers would try an hit the pin setter
thanks for the memories

Hammer6

Nice! So, did you pull the vise from its handle and drop the post in a hole drilled into the ball? And is that a garden tractor tire for the base? Is it sitting on a lazy susan so it rotates? (I know, so many questions...) Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors