Posting pictures that won't get lost

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Every now and then the pictures on a thread 'go away'. This happens when the pictures are hosted elsewhere and something happens that makes the URL to where they were invalid. Could be the picture got deleted from that site, the site's URL changed, security changed... all sorts of things.

Pictures that are uploaded here to the forum don't go away (barring any forum problems) so it's better to upload them.

But the problem there is that they end up as a list of thumbnails at the end of the post and sometimes you really want them to be inside your post. This is especially true in Tutorials where you want to be able to say "see here where I did this" and have the picture and text together.

That's easy enough to do, you just use the IMG tag and the URL of where the picture is stored.

But how do you do that if the picture has been uploaded to the forum?

Here's how:

For a Reply 'go advanced', for a new thread you start in the full edit window. Look down a bit and hit that 'Manage Attachments' button. Use the window that pops up to add your image, either from your computer or from somewhere on the web. Let me go do that....

Ok, I've added a shot of my latest hobo nickel. Now if I 'Preview Post' I should see the URL for it on the forum...

Actually, what you see is at the bottom of the Preview it says 'Attached Images' and lists some links. Right click on the link(s) and you'll see the address for the image. It'll look like this:
Code:
http://www.igraver.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11455&d=1282668969

Drag your mouse across that and you can copy it (like I just did).

Now go to where you want that image in your post and put that URL inside a pair of IMG tags and voila! There's your image!

Which, as you can see, shows up full-sized and right within the post where you want it to be.

There are ways you can go back and make the thumbnail set at the bottom go away but it's hardly worth doing that, IMHO.

Attachments

• SVD0028F.jpg
    SVD0028F.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 136

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve, Good job following up on Michael's post. Very thoughtful. I hope this little bit gets added to the sticky about posting pictures. Someone should do a tutorial on how to keep your tutorials form losing their artwork. Oh you just did HA HA. Great job-Thanks Fred

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Nice one Steve! That is a useful info. Thank you for taking the time to post it!

By the way, your hobo looks great but there are a couple of details that I would like to point to you:
The placement of the ear is at the end of the zygomatic arch so it looks to me a bit moved to the front of the face in your hobo and also (the ear) a little small... just a detail, anyway your work looks really nice!

Keep up the good work! :thumbs up:
Leonardo.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes to both Leonardo - ears are still a bit of a problem for me but at least I'm getting the hang of hair.

I just grabbed this as a current picture to use for an example.

The collectors (or at least one of them) seem to like it though - took me 4.5 hours to carve and it sold in 2.5. Actually it's got a bit longer to run but that's how long it took to reach my Reserve level.

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Great Tip Steve.

I have often wondered how some pictures were so very large while others (mine) were small, having the same pixels.

I will try this.

Excellent picture and carving BTW.

Ken

Latest posts

Sponsors