Potters wheel wobble

purplepepper8

Hey guys,

I recently bought myself a shimpo banding wheel which is used for pottery. If you click this link http://www.clay-king.com/turntables.htm and scroll to the bottom under the banding wheel section, you'll find the ones im talking about. I order the BW-22L. I read on another post on this forum that this is a good alternative to the expensive turntables.

I find mine to wobble some. As far my experiments go, it seems that it doesn't wobble by itself but does when i place the vise on top of it. Im guessing it's the weight of the vise that causes this. It isnt a big wobble, and is sort of manageable, especially if im able to refrain from putting any downward pressure while turning the vise. However, i was wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue or has some idea on how to fix it. Thank you

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the same guy but don’t get any wobble. I do get some rock through my stand because my floor isn’t that solid. Is it the wobble of your turntable for sure, or might it be the base?

purplepepper8

Im not sure if youd call it wobble or shake. If a wobble is a more rythmic, slow movement thats generally on one side then this is a shake/ rock. The base has something to do with it but so does the turntable because i placed it on a heavy desk and it still had some shake

purplepepper8

have you been using your set up for long? i feel like staring down the scope for long periods with the shake could mess with my eyes

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For years. But I do do other things. Carve wood, soldering, smithing. So I don’t know if I’m a real test.. but for what it’s worth, my eyes are happy

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
The base of the turntable appears to be quite a bit smaller than the rotating top portion. That in itself is a formula for instability especially with the top-heaviness created with a heavy vise, and downward lateral pressure created while engraving. Pehaps permanently securing the turntable base with something like liquid nails to a heavy base at least the diameter of the turntable itself might work to stabilize the platform?

I use tree stumps cut flush top and bottom as stands for my shop anvils. Stable and very inexpensive compared with Anvil stands. Perhaps something like that could work as a base for your turntable as well.

Latest posts

Sponsors