Practise plates

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
A repetitive post of "Newbies" is 'What should I practice, or where to find something to practice.'

With Sam Alfano's permission I am posting these for your personal use. The script is a derivative of Sam and Dr Joseph Vitolo.

All the script and parts are reversed for direct transfer

Each individual plate should fit on a 2X2 plate.

I have also attached 2 plates that were/are of use to me.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• Script Plate.jpg
    Script Plate.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 559
  • Script Elements 1.jpg
    Script Elements 1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 537
  • Script Elements 2.jpg
    Script Elements 2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 499
  • Script Elements 3.jpg
    Script Elements 3.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 490
  • Script Elements 4.jpg
    Script Elements 4.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 490
  • Script Elements 5.jpg
    Script Elements 5.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 485
  • S curves.jpg
    S curves.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 503
  • Straight lines.jpg
    Straight lines.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 482

ringdoctor

Thanks you, for sharing those. I just downloaded them
I intend to focus on learning to letter, first, as that is something my jewelry trade accounts have asked for.
I am interested in any info on styles, drawing, transferring and engraving lettering.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks Brant. These are great for practice!
sam: i think i once got a dvd from you on doing script. that was quite some time ago. it had images one could use for their own layout purposes.

DevilDog

Thanks. I have taken two GRS engraving classes. One with Mr. Alfano and the other with Mrs. Scalese. After using up my practice pieces that are included with the classes and needing more practice, I called GRS to purchase additional plates. I was told that weren't available for purchase , but only available for the students. So, thanks for making these available to all who want to become better engravers.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
With the correct software, and the expertise that I do not have, this engraver's script could be turned into a true type font. I don't know if someone already has a copyright on it or not. Those who have developed fonts do have copyrights on them. It could be done. Many would be interested. I know Sam might frown on this because he has stressed that engravers should learn to draw their lettering.

Ghrrum

Would there be any issue with me tracing these into a vector format ( .svg / .dxf ) and posting it here?
I figure that might be a good idea as vector graphics will scale up and down nicely and the native format those plates are showing up in is 3x3.
Additionally I can fit all those plates on a single sheet of paper.
I'm half doing this for myself as it also gives me a good project to dissect the shapes and lines to work through and develop the concepts behind them.

Last edited:

Ghrrum

Latest posts

Sponsors