Problem with GRS Power Hone

Chris623

I have a GRS Power Hone that I recently inherited. When I turn on the switch, all I get is a chattering noise that sounds like a vibratory tumbler. Motor and wheel don't turn......NADA! Has anyone had this happen, and if so, what is likely the problem?

Chris623

I wish it were that simple. I've got the cabinet all apart and the belt is fine. The only thing I get when I turn on the motor is a buzz.

Thanks for the operating manual............didn't have one.

Chris623

I know they would. I'd rather fix it myself. I don't need it personally. Want to repair it and sell it.............but the more it costs ($$$) me to fix it, the less I'll get for it. I've more time than money. :)

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
If you remove the belt from the pulley does the motor shaft spin freely?

Chris623

Didn't try that for fear I'd have too much trouble getting the belts back on. (now that I have the manual, that is much more possible) However, I can turn the wheel by hand......................can't tell if the motor is turning or not. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the suggestion.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
A little bit of oil, per instructions in the manual, is a good idea. Not sure if this will solve the problem, but the motor is supposed to be oiled regularly.

Chris623

I oiled it as soon as I got it..................and my Dad kept it oiled when he used it. It's been stored in a cabinet for the past 10 years or so. Guess I need to take the belt off and see if it's the motor.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
the old single direction motors are about $60 if you call the mfr on the nameplate. i might even have one around from when i switched mine to reverse rotation. how old is yours?

Chris623

Sorry I'm just now getting back to this...........I was off-line last night.

There's nothing on the unit indicating it's a reversible. I have no idea how old it is. I remember seeing it on my Dad's jewelry bench as far back as the 90's, I think.

Thanks for the help, guys. Even at $60/$70, I think I'll take it further apart and see if I can repair it. Don't know what it'll be worth in working order. I only have a 600 grit wheel with it.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
If it has been sitting for a long time, try to start it by turning it on and giving it a push by hand. The grease on the bearings may have hardened and "locked" it tight. I once took an old fan and removed the blade and attached a drill to the shaft, ran it about 2 minutes. Replaced the blade plugged it in and turned it on, and it worked. But the bearings did need replacing.

RA40

Mitch, would you mind sharing the motor specs when you converted it to reversible? If the one I have up for sale doesn't sell, I may want to convert for other uses. My local guy wasn't able to cross reference one other than upsizing so that motor would not fit into the GRS enclosure.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hmmmm. not sure i still have that info, but i'll poke around...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For years the old CCW motor was in the new CW motor box on a shelf in my shop (I can envision the exact spot), but when I moved a few years ago I got pretty ruthless with stuff that only collected dust in the last 10-15 yrs. It may not have survived The Great Purge. IIRC, I just called the mfr on the nameplate and it seems they told me they only made the CCW units for one company (guess who?) and had the exact same model with the more common CW rotation. I believe the mfr was bought out some time ago, but the new company still produces their old motors.

RA40

Thanks for looking! The suspicion was that, that size motor would be a challenge. I may hit up one of the lapidary guys and seek his suggestions on building up a reversible lap set-up. My uses are to do the flats for stone and at the same time this would be useful for sharpening the handgravers.