question for the experts. How would you lay out this knife?

jzknives

So i found my old kershaw emerson and im thinking of engraving it. And after playing around with it in procreate im sort of stuck. Its a complex shape with lots of "hardware" to design around. bascially the only thing im set on is some sort of border around the whole thing which isnt very special. But how would you throw the scrolls around with so many different hardware points? 6055d2_clipside-closed.png

How would you lay out this knife?

Also assume the clip is off i cant find any pictures of it off.

also im not asking you to design the knife for me. I just want to see how different people would handle laying out the knife to give me ideas on starting points and solving problems with the geometry

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
You could just engrave the other side, leave this side plane.
I've done that on a couple of Kershaws.
Maybe a few small leaves or details above the clip that would be visible while in your pocket.
Pull it out, flip it over and astound the audience.

jzknives

You could just engrave the other side, leave this side plane.
I've done that on a couple of Kershaws.
Maybe a few small leaves or details above the clip that would be visible while in your pocket.
Pull it out, flip it over and astound the audience.
otherside is textured g10

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
two ways i'd do it: 1 do a layout that pleases you while ignoring the holes.
2: do a layout with the holes in mind. much more time consuming, but can be made to work. wake up your artistic skills. you may surprize yerself. designing in odd shapes and around obstacles is part of developing drawing skills. none of the "fancy" drawing software will teach this. your pencil will.

Sponsors