R.I.P. Ken Hurst

LGreen

Ken Hurst was my step father. Over the past few years we had many long phone talks, but was not aware he was sick or had passed until today. He taught me how to shoot, and I have many stories of his days here in Lynchburg. If anyone has information on who may have been his caretaker or family contact, it would be much appreciated. If you have knowledge of any of his work that might be for sale, I am interested. Please contact me. It would only be for personal memories. Thank you. C5BB442F-EABF-49BE-8F54-AE9AF0DA3382.jpeg

Last edited:

LGreen

By the way, I own my Grandfather’s Stoeger Luger from about 69’, and an 18g pump Mossberg for skeet, I have a clean background and obviously well trained (by Ken himself). I have a feeling my brother is also going to be looking to have a memorial piece of Ken’s work, as an avid collector for sport, and was quite close to Ken as a child and visited his home in NC a couple of years ago, but would never ask to be given anything.

LGreen

Ken Hurst was my step father. Over the past few years we had many long phone talks, but was not aware he was sick or had passed until today. He taught me how to shoot, and I have many stories of his days here in Lynchburg. If anyone has information on who may have been his caretaker or family contact, it would be much appreciated. If you have knowledge of any of his work that might be for sale, I am interested. Please contact me. It would only be for personal memories. Thank you. View attachment 44429
This was a pen and ink tiger study he gave me years ago. I have it framed in my living room, because I think it might be his most beautiful piece. Not sure if it was ever completed in gun metal, but I’d like to dream it was.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you would like to own a gun that Ken engraved look into the premium auctions that are held twice a year by Morphy Auctions and also Rock Island Auctions. Over the years, I have seen several of Ken's guns come up for sale at those two auction houses. A note of caution: Ken operated an engraving shop that, at one time, employed many engravers who did production work in Ken's style. If you want a gun engraved by Ken himself, make sure it was signed by Ken.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you would like to own a gun that Ken engraved look into the premium auctions that are held twice a year by Morphy Auctions and also Rock Island Auctions. Over the years, I have seen several of Ken's guns come up for sale at those two auction houses. A note of caution: Ken operated an engraving shop that, at one time, employed many engravers who did production work in Ken's style. If you want a gun engraved by Ken himself, make sure it was signed by Ken.

At one time I had a Ruger Blackhawk with "HURST" stamped on it, and when I got to know Ken a little better, I showed it to him and asked if he did it. He looked kind of embarrassed and said it was done at his shop by one of his employees and the stamp was the shop stamp. Because it was not done by him personally I had no regrets trading it for something else I wanted. I do have a few smoke pulls from some of his work, which will NOT leave my possession until I'm in the "box."

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is with deep regret that I read of Ken's passing today. He was a fine engraver but a better friend. All of us who attended his get-togethers had a blast and learned a great deal. We talked "shop" for hours, had wonderful meals and listened to some fine music. He often spoke of how "closed" engraving information was in the past and loved the fact that times had changed to the point of today's wide dissemination of engraving "secrets". He will be greatly missed.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is with deep regret that I read of Ken's passing today. He was a fine engraver but a better friend. All of us who attended his get-togethers had a blast and learned a great deal. We talked "shop" for hours, had wonderful meals and listened to some fine music. He often spoke of how "closed" engraving information was in the past and loved the fact that times had changed to the point of today's wide dissemination of engraving "secrets". He will be greatly missed.

I agree Mark, those times at both his home and at the Bain's home were remarkable and fun filled. Ken had some good stories and I really miss those times. Too bad it was usually held Mother's Day weekend or there may have been more in attendance.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I had the opportunity talk with Ken before he passed away he was in a lot of pain and I thanked him for all his advice,he will be missed by his many friends. J.J.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sad to hear this. never met him in person, but had several phone chats with him. he got my number from someone. he called and was curious about a transfer solution i had made. i sent him a bottle, and that initiated many chats back and forth. a great guy to talk to.

number4

This was a pen and ink tiger study he gave me years ago. I have it framed in my living room, because I think it might be his most beautiful piece. Not sure if it was ever completed in gun metal, but I’d like to dream it was.

number4

He didn't Lisa. He did this because he knew I was interested in painting so he did it and gave it to me.

number4

Number 4 means 4th wife. Called me often even though he had 5 wives in all and his last companion never married him. I have a piece that he carved out of silver and inlaid it in an oval of ivory, Yepper he could talk and talk and talk. He was a wonderful engraver but as one person mention that he served in Viet Nam. No he did not.

Sponsors