Relief engraving practice

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used the cut the practice scroll that Chris Decamillis has posted on his website. I decided to relieve the background to give the elements more pop than just stippling the background.

What do you think?

The scroll and all the element main lines were cut with a 110' graver, 45 face and short 15' heel. I really like this geometry. I find the 120 just a touch to hard for me to control, but the 110 cuts really nice for me. The shading and relief were done with a standard square graver. Main lines and relief was done with a 901. Monarch for the shading. Material is brass sheet I cut from a large sheet. I used a medium grit unitizing wheel to semi-prepare the surface for engraving.

For my transfer, I used parchment paper and varnish. Crystal clear transfer. Really leaves nothing in doubt. I wasn't quite sure how to shade some of the elements so I did my best.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 213

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's nicely done, Bert. Kind of hard to see the depth and evenness of the background in the photo, but the cutting, as Dave puts it, is clean well done. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Sponsors