Repoussé coin

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
This is a pendant that my mother purchased from the person who made it, back in the 1960's; it now belongs to my wife. I don't recall where my mother found it or who made it. It's a very deep Repoussé. It's a beautiful piece, although a little bit bruised after years of wear. I thought it might give some of you ideas...

Repoussé.jpg Repoussé-bottom.jpg Repoussé-1.jpg Repoussé-rear.jpg

mrthe

i have see some of this coins in ebay like this
http://bit.ly/vHgpXt

i think are made with a stamp or some type of punch or press , i don't know very well, maybe Ron Landis know more about this type of pop up coins, but if you search in ebay "repousse coin" you can find a lot of this coins with the same subject

Last edited:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These were produced by Bohlin Saddlery and used for saddle ornamentation and Jewelry. I have one that was produced later and I used it for a Key fob.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
These were first produced in the late 19th century and are die struck. The Liberty head design ranges in size from dime to silver dollar but there are a number of other designs including Indians, presidents, animals, and in other countries, kings and queens. I have about a dozen of them and until I had a moment of blinding stupidity, I owned a set of the dies. Cool collectable.

Joe Paonessa

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc, that site was interesting. The die used to dome the coins could be used to bump the coin without damsge to the edges that you get from a dapping block. Thanks Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors