rhodium?

TFACARVING

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone out there used black rhodium for backgrounds or shading lines if not what do y'all use?

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Sam Alfano's method (sort of). Rustoleum flat black enamel thinned with a bit of lighter fluid. To apply, I put on a pair of latex exam gloves, use a forefinger to apply to the work piece, and wipe away the excess with my thumb.

The gloves are just to keep the enamel from staining my fingers.

TFACARVING

Elite Cafe Member
Sam Alfano's method (sort of). Rustoleum flat black enamel thinned with a bit of lighter fluid. To apply, I put on a pair of latex exam gloves, use a forefinger to apply to the work piece, and wipe away the excess with my thumb.

The gloves are just to keep the enamel from staining my fingers.
I think I've seen a couple of others using the flat black Rust-Oleum, seems like probably the easiest method by far

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think I've seen a couple of others using the flat black Rust-Oleum, seems like probably the easiest method by far

Sam's method works very well. Saying that, I have used printer's ink thinned a little with lighter fluid or isopropyl alcohol with success, and after application bake it a little while (30-45 minutes) at low heat to advance the curing process.

TFACARVING

Elite Cafe Member
Sam's method works very well. Saying that, I have used printer's ink thinned a little with lighter fluid or isopropyl alcohol with success, and after application bake it a little while (30-45 minutes) at low heat to advance the curing process.
Now that one that I haven't heard of yet is that normal printer ink or like the toner used in a laser printer?

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that one that I haven't heard of yet is that normal printer ink or like the toner used in a laser printer?
It is regular printer's ink used in printmaking and stamping, found at well stocked art supply stores. It is almost like the ink for fingerprinting, although that is done electronically.