Critique Request Rip it apart please!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Pretty nice.
The shading and the overlapping curl/bud at the point of origin for the lower right scroll
need a little sorting out. The unshaded drawing shows it well.

WSammut

Pretty nice.
The shading and the overlapping curl/bud at the point of origin for the lower right scroll
need a little sorting out. The unshaded drawing shows it well.
Thanks. Not quite sure where you’re referring to. I know I did miss a few lines in the unshaded part that later got put in when shading if that’s what you’re referring to?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
The way the bud is shaded puts a "full stop" to the upper line of the undelaying scroll backbone and breaks the continuity.
Only you know what you were trying to depict and maybe that's what you wanted.

Andrew Biggs

Okay, rip it apart I will :)

First the good news………..You have some good individual elements going on in this design. Your scrolls are well formed and your leaves are good.

The bad news………………The trouble is when you put it all together it is a butchers mess. It is impossible to critique because it is so random.

So what to do about it?

Engraving design is a disciplined skill. It is not a random doodle. It takes into account things like form (scroll/leaf shapes) balance between background and foreground, harmony with the canvas you are engraving on. And a few other things to boot. We also have to work within clearly defined parameters which are called borders.

What I suggest you do is get a a defined shape like a knife, gun part, watch, jewellery item or anything else you may want to engrave. Take a smoke pull, create the outline and then draw in the borders that you will be working with……………………..Then start your scroll design.

This will give you a defined space to work within and teach you the discipline of drawing within that shape. You will learn things like form, balance harmony and flow.

You clearly have drawing skills but you really need to discipline your approach to it. Once you do that, you will fly :)

Cheers
Andrew

WSammut

Much appreciated Andrew!
It sounds like maybe the problem is I haven’t developed “my style” and I’m just throwing elements together that work technically but not so much artistically?
As far as the boarders, I don’t disagree, I was just doing a free form drawing just for the sake of practicing drawing and trying to concentrate more on certain aspects of design without having to deal with too much at once.
thanks for the help

Andrew Biggs

To many beginners get hung up about the whole personal style thing. It is like trying to run before you can crawl.

So don't worry about "my style" at the moment............Get the basics and foundations of your designs right first by learning in a disciplined and productive manner. From there you develop a deeper understanding of what you are doing and what looks good and what doesn't

Your own personal style will naturally come with practice. It will also constantly evolve and morph over time. If you look any any good engraver today and see what they were cutting 5-10-20-30 years ago it will be totally different. :)

Cheers
Andrew

gil rudolph

Great design. I've engraved a design and it did not seem to read very well. The solution was to heavy up the initial line I cut, before shading, especially where one design part crossed another design part. Hope this helps you.......gil rudolph tehachapi, california 6614281566

Latest posts

Sponsors