Rod Cameron will be soon posting Reno 2011 photos

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Colleagues,

I will soon post a link to my usual slide show of some of the exhibits here at the Reno 2011 Fega show, the exhibition will close in ten minutes, yet seminars will be happening tomorrow morning.

The engraving art here is great, and as ever my roving camera will not be even-handedly representing everyone here. I dearly wish it was, but I could not get around all the tables, so please forgive me if your good work did not get into my camera, it should have but I ran out of time, and I also had to take time to go to the hospital and get a bad cut to my eyebrow stitched .... no, I did to get in a fist fight with a rival Scottish clansman, the truth is way more boring.

I will do my best to delete photos that do not do acceptable justice to the engraver's work ...no one is served by an out of focus photo of a fine piece of work, etc., but do remember my sideshow will be under conditions of hand held camera and difficult lighting to properly portray bulino and other fine work to best advantage. Where possible I have run my photos past the engraver to seek approval, and tried my best to make sure you will know who did the work and have something to google for websites and addresses.

Within these constraints I have sought to give a taste of only some of the exhibition tables, regret I could not cover everyone. For example, I may have missed photographing Barry H's prize winning work, even though we did clink dram glasses in the evening, so I hope others and Barry himself will be posting.

Give me a day or two to prepare a picasa link after tweaking the photos for best clarity.

It continued to be a superb show. Our sincere thanks to Rex, and his team of kind hearted volunteers, who labor long and hard throughout the year to make it all flow at show time.

Many could not be here who wanted to come. I particularly missed Liz and Ron Smith, yet trust it wont be long before we sit down together to swap songs and pick our guitars. Ron, we will be toasting you and yours later this evening when, hopefully, Weldon and his son, Bill, Abigail and Sam, Fred, Tim, Barry H may get a chance to work over some of those 'oldies but goodies'. Already, Scott sang "Pancho and Lefty" while I had the honor of picking Sam Welch's splendid hand made guitar with quality engraving. It sounds as good as it looks ...superb, and it fetched a good price at the Auction last night.

Haste ye back!

meanwhile stay tuned ...

Rod

Last edited:

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
Just returned home from a very nice evening with the FEGA Jam Band and Choir. Sorry I couldn't make it til last call. Great job everyone!! Looking forward to the Monday sessions, and especially the afternoon show and tell.
(btw - our benevolent dictator may have another name - after playing a nice piece on the guitar, I believe I heard him dubbed "Doc Alfano"...)
Gary

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I heard it was a bloody Irishman that gave you that thump...

Twas good to see you again and hear those songs of my ancestors, I finally got one recorded. I just got home and decided to check in before I hit the sack.

Sam and Shane gave some good seminars but unfortunately I had to leave about half way through Sam's to make my flight. Thanks to all of you that helped this show be the success it was.

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm looking forward to seeing the photos Rod.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to show them.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Tim, the first rumor was that it was a blonde pole vaulter whacked him. Of course she might have been Irish I suppose.

A couple good music nights, eh? Bring your dobro next time, okay?

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
...turns out that the jam session really began to rock after I left - they rolled in a grand piano from some other room, and then shanghaied a (reportedly very good) non-engraver fiddle player from the hallway, and played on into the wee hours... next year I will try to catch a nap before, so I can stay up late...
Gary

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for your good natured postings, guys!

I am home safe to the Coast, after a seven hour drive in good conditions, and sorry the weather has cause chaos elsewhere.

My, what fertile imaginations my colleagues have, guess there is a novel being written, rather than a biography, so here comes the boring truth .... I stumbled (sober) in my hotel bathroom, preparing for a shower before bed, with one foot caught in my pants, I could not correct and fell, like timber, right onto the bathroom sink faucet. That was like being hit on the eyebrow with a metal baseball bat. One inch lower, and I would have lost an eye. Running with blood everywhere, I phoned for first aid. All I got was a security man with a gun, who said "we do not do first aid". He gave me two old band aids, and left me to my fate?? Following day a kind nurse who was at the show examined the wound and said..."hospital, right now!" I said okay, and she was right, of course. They offered to stitch me up or super glue me. I went for super glue and a tetanus shot . It looks unsightly, but I will live. After hanging off overhanging cliffs at 14,000 feet, 1500 miles in a row boat in the Greenland Sea, and running Hell's Gate in the Fraser Canyon, I almost lost it in a hotel bathroom? Very embarrassing.

More importantly, our good pal from the Netherlands, Hora, showed some of us a really great slide show he will also soon post with a link here on iGraver to his picasa. His excellent photos capture well the 'people' side of Reno 2011. You will find that mine are a partial cover of the engraving details, so side by side I feel both slide shows will give a good taste of the Event. With luck, I hope to get mine up tomorrow.

A big thank you to those who did all the hard work that made this year's FEGA Reno a success!

Rod

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have only been past Hells Gate in the spring and it looks violent. Maybe it tones down after the snow is melted off. Do you know, Peter?

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glad to hear you made it home without running in to any more Gremlins or feisty Leprechauns.It was a great pleasure to make your acquaintance in person finally.Best wishes- Dave

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
I have only been past Hells Gate in the spring and it looks violent. Maybe it tones down after the snow is melted off. Do you know, Peter?

They won't run Hells Gate at high water, that is to dangerous. Enough of an adventure when the water is "calm" I been told.

Peter

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, Colleagues!

My 321 photos are online now at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rodcameron2/

They are not in proper order and I will get this done tomorrow, but at least you can see them now.

Hell's Gate.... yes, ran this without any power when I was young and stupid. The Fraser River is usually flowing at about 220,000 cubic feet per second, as compared with maybe the Colorado, about 15,000 cfs at Lava Falls. Both challenging.

Maybe I will post some old pics of Greenland, 1958. I was 21 and looked a bit like red headed Conan O'Brian, skin and bone, and too poor to own a down jacket or a wet suit. What we do when we are young!

Reno FEGA is such a bargain one-stop-shopping destination, and, as always, so evenly good hearted and generous to one and all.

I am healing fast my battle wounds with the bathroom faucet, and regaining confidence, may try punching out a fire hydrant next time.

Roger, so glad we had a good innings together and covered so much ground in our conversations. You were in fine voice at the jam session on Sunday evening, as was Scott. What a dream line-up for a good Jam ...Abigail/Sam/Weldon/Bill/Fred/ Piano Lady/ Doc, the fiddle champ/Stan/ many harmonizers/ and I have left out others which I will remember tomorrow.

best

Rod

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod - Just viewed the photos and they are EXCELLENT! Thank you VERY much for taking the time to post them.

Whew...when I saw the one of your forehead, FIRST thing that came to mind is.... NEED STITCHES! Hope it heals up well!