Announcement: Roger Henrichs passed away today

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I received an email from Roger Henrich's son in law informing me that Roger passed away at 1:15 pm today, October 31, 2015.

Roger was keeping it a secret from mostly everyone but he had been battling lung cancer all summer. He went through the chemo and radiation therapy and he was looking forward to a PET scan in November telling him he was cancer free. He was a tough guy and fought it until the last. He would go for a chemo treatment and then go wax the truck and mow the lawn!:eek: I think he really figured he could beat it. But, Nancy told me it was considered terminal all along. She said Roger didn't tell anyone that... not even to himself.

I talked with Roger two weeks ago and he sounded very tired and groggy. He spoke with sort of a thick tongue. He didn't sound like his normal self. He said he felt "about 60%". But, he was still planning on finishing his Sterlingworth shotgun. He was having fun doing some sculpted scroll with his Enset. He was planning on bringing it to the next FEGA convention.

I spoke with his wife Nancy on Monday the 26th and she told me Roger hadn't eaten in two weeks and was sleeping about 22 hours a day. The family were all waiting for him to pass at any minute.

Unfortunately, he lingered another week and passed on today. But, he's no longer suffering.

I lost a good friend and, I was glad he took the time to take me under his wing and teach me some design and engraving.

Good bye Roger. :(

Boulger Funeral Home Obituary: Roger Henrichs

Roger Henrichs
Aug. 3, 1941 - Oct. 31, 2015

FARGO, N.D. - Roger Henrichs, 74, Fargo, died Saturday, Oct. 31, in his home under the care of Hospice of the Red River Valley.
A graveside service will be 3 p.m. Friday, Nov. 6, at Riverside Cemetery in Fargo.
Arrangements by Boulger Funeral Home and Celebration of Life Center in Fargo.

A little bit about Roger: A lot of people knew Roger as an engraver who not only took commissions from individuals but he was the contractor engraver for Ahlman Guns in Morristown, Minnesota. Roger was an engineer in his "real life" and was the designer of several large pieces of commercial equipment and several factories. For example, he designed a sand bag filling machine for the City of Fargo, North Dakota that helped them save much of the city when it flooded a few years ago. He was featured on the TV a couple of times about that machine. I think he got in more than 15 minutes of fame.

He designed a factory that produces egg cartons from recycled paper. In fact, he did it twice... the first one ended up burning down. :)

He would work all day as an engineer and then after dinner at around 6:00 PM, he would engrave until around midnight. That guy had more energy than any two or three normal people! He was always hunting, fishing, mowing the lawn, polishing his truck and boat. :)

He contacted me when he first saw me on this forum and came to Grand Forks to show me some of his work and to encourage me to do more engraving. After all, North Dakota has a very small population so everybody knows everybody it seems. I would help him out once in awhile with some of my own skills. Many of his published photographs came from my camera. I know Master Engraver Mark Hoechst did some for him too.

Anyway, I just wanted to say a few more words about Roger. It's difficult to put into words what it was like to know him and a little bit about his life.

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow! That is truly sad news! Roger was a super guy. He was one of the first engravers I ever met at my first FEGA convention several years ago. He never failed to spend some time with me over the intervening years. And I always learned something from every one of our conversations. He will be greatly missed. My condolences to his widow.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Doc,Sad to hear of Roger's passing, I enjoyed meeting and talking with Roger in January at the FAEA meeting RIP. J.J.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
What a great loss for FEGA and the engraving community. Roger was always such a pleasure to see and talk to. He always took the time to talk to you at the shows and was truly an inspiring individual. I have look forward to seeing him every year since my first year in Reno. He once brought castings of a shotgun to a show that were awesome and I asked if he would sell a set to me. He said he would however the ones he had with him had some flaws in the material but he would make a set and send them to me. Several weeks later I received a set of the castings, signed on the backs, a very cool note from him and a burnt CD of some of his work. They will be more cherished now and will always remind me of what a cool gentleman he was. I will always be grateful for the opportunity to know him and also for the opportunity of belonging to FEGA and meeting some of the must wonderful people in the engraving community at the annual shows and other gatherings. Cherish life's moments as they can be all to short. God speed Roger and my heart felt condolences to his family for their loss.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
So sorry to hear about Roger. Heartfelt condolences to his family.

Andrew Biggs

I'm very sorry to hear the bad news.

Roger is a great guy and a fine engraving artist whose work appeared in books and magazines. Always quick to laugh and great to chat with.

I have very fond memories of visiting with him and Nancy in Reno and Las Vegas. You couldn't miss him as he was always wandering around wearing his opitivisor. Till the last he was always looking at his next engraving project and just recently I sent him some hi-res photos of Martin Strolz work that appeared on the covers of the recent FEGA Engraver magazine so he could study them better.

FEGA and the engraving community has lost a good friend. Rest in peace, Roger. Your work will live on and you will be remembered and missed.

Cheers
Andrew

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
My regards to Roger's family and friends. Roger was always pleasant to talk to, and I learned something every time we spoke. He was generous with his time and advice and always willing to send photos of his tools and projects. I will miss him.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will miss him. He was very kind and helpful to me. At the last show we spent a bit of time talking shop ideas - several of which I have incorporated. RIP my friend.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is sad to hear of the passing of another of our engraving family. Roger was a fine fellow whose gun engraving skill was at a high level. Never a wonky scroll, dogleg, or crooked spine. His animal figures were also very nice.

I am happy that I was able to feature Roger and his work in my last book. It will add to his family's legacy and memory of him.

For those of you who are not familiar with Roger, I have added below an image of him and a sample of his engraving.

RIP Roger Henrichs.

Attachments

• Roger Henrichs-Reno 2011.jpg
    Roger Henrichs-Reno 2011.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Henrichs-5a-Rem.-L.jpg
    Henrichs-5a-Rem.-L.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 41

Sponsors