Roses and Thorns

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thorns:
I bought 3 items recently from the Buy and Sell section of this forum. When Sam says "Caveat Emptor," believe it. There are opportunists who find bargains at flea markets and other places and subscribe to the board for the sole reason of unloading them. I paid for all 3 items via Paypal. Two of them were shipped the following day and arrived in less than a week; well packaged, intact, and as advertised. The last was a nightmare taking almost a month to arrive. This person was slow answering emails, couldn't answer direct questions about the item, and replied in a circular manner skirting the issues. This person also didn't provide an address or phone number, which turned out to be unlisted. Various apologies and excuses were sent as replies to my emails....again never answering my specific questions. Just as I was about to bite the bullet and file a claim with PayPal to reverse the transaction, the item was sent. It arrived in a beat up box that was twice as large as the item with NO FILLER PADDING. Luckily the item was undamaged and serviceable.

Sam might want to institute a policy that a person needs a minimum number of postings; or, has been a forum member for a given period of time before allowing them to sell items. This would cut down on the opportunists just looking to dump an item they have recently acquired, but who have no interest in the forum itself. This works on other forums, but requires additional moderator work.

Roses:

Glendo I ordered several items from them. In the past, I had ordered books but did a "guest" transaction. This time I filled out the login form as a new customer. I received a number of confirming emails and shipping information, as well as 2 personal phone calls from Lynda. The first was an introduction and she asked if I had any questions about any of their products, or if she could be of any assistance in other ways. The second was a follow up to ask if I had recieved my items and did I now have any questions. We talked a bit and I told her about myself. At the conclusion, she offered to call me back periodically at an interval of my choosing to discuss any future needs. This is both good marketing and good customer service.

Lindsay Some time back, I had sent Steve an email asking if he made 1/8" collets for his sharpening system, which I had already acquired but hadn't used. All my H&C graver handles were set up to use 1/8" lathe bits and wouldn't fit in the 3/32" collet, so I hadn't been able to use the templates. However, with the introduction of his new engraver, the need was obvious. When I pointed this out, he made me one within a couple of hours and offered to overnite it; and also offered to exchange it for the smaller collet. However, I opted to keep both. Still, the intent was there and his customer service also rates very high.

Mitch Some time back, he offered his hose refit kit. I mentioned that I had bought a used GraverMax and he offered to refit it free of charge and cover shipping if he could use it to make a promotional video, which I would have been a fool to turn down. However, he went beyond that and completely went thru the machine, cleaned and inspected it and replaced some worn parts. I paid him for the parts and the unit is now in the mail. With the exception of the motor, I will start out with a unit I can have confidence in and which should give me years of service. Thanks Mitch, and no one should doubt his customer service either.

I seldom, if ever, give testimonials but these vendors have all gone above and beyond what we accept as "customer service" these days.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Linda Schreck

Glendo I received a number of confirming emails and shipping information, as well as 2 personal phone calls from Lynda. The first was an introduction and she asked if I had any questions about any of their products, or if she could be of any assistance in other ways. The second was a follow up to ask if I had recieved my items and did I now have any questions. We talked a bit and I told her about myself. At the conclusion, she offered to call me back periodically at an interval of my choosing to discuss any future needs. This is both good marketing and good customer service.

Linda has always been very nice on the phone and will check back often to see if you need anything. She told me she's going to retire in July. She'll be missed. :)

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Sam might want to institute a policy that a person needs a minimum number of postings"

I agree with the intent of your posting, but I have no idea what kind of burden it would place on Sam or maybe it would be on Andrew.
I think there are a lot of people who think that this is 'ebay' for engraving items and are less than forthright in their dealings.
I got involved with 'one of those people' and wasted a lot of time for nada.
Kevin P.

Last edited:

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Never had a problem with GRS , my mistake I did once. They sent me a cheque and it took a while to find out why they were sending me money. Besides that it has been great, and Linda is a fine, and very thorough lady .
Steve as well a great person to deal with and talk to.:yes

Andrew Biggs

I hear what you are saying but there is very little we can do as it's impossible to police. This is the first negative feedback I've heard about the buy/sell pages apart from reading a few niggles with slow replies.

When it comes to the buy/sell pages I would urge you to exercise the same caution as you would in any transaction. Don't automatically assume that because they are posting on the forum that they are a good guy, or even legitimate. And definitely don't assume because they are selling engraving equipment that they know anything about it. Whilst a lot of us know each other personally on the forum...........there are also a large number of people we don't know.

Look for the number of posts they have made and if they use a real name not some really obscure handle................in other words, exercise caution before you part with your money.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors