round w o heel for rex

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
rex- just took a huge-60 round. had never used it. bottom was still factory rough-w o polishing. did a 45 face. very large scroll to allow such a large graver. you see tool chatter, and my body tremor adding to the mix. but there was no gouging effect. surface smooth as a babys' rear. cirelli sauce for drawing. if this was for an actual job, i could clean it a bit if i wanted to.

Attachments

• 60 round.JPG
    60 round.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 223

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why would you use a round heel graver for this??? That's not what they're really designed for. There's a reason engravers use a square graver and have done since time immemorial. Round heels are best used, almost as a gouge, when carving for shaping leaves, etc, and for creating dots.

In my opinion forget them for everyday cutting as a) they don't give the control and b) the result isn't particularly pleasant.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
marcus-- this isn't something i do all the time. when i encounter a new client. i show them sample plates of what i like to do. i like to let people have a say in the final design if they want to. if they happen to choose something like that-- this is when i do it. for people familiar with my work, thay may tell me to do whatever comes to mind. in this instance, i'd agree with you, i would never do this kind of cut.