Scissors?

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
I have seen at least one post as it regards scissor used in cutting out precious metal for inlays. I think "Mitch" made a recommendation of a brand/size etc. I have made several searches but come up empty.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yes, i do! mine are Gingher 5" craft shears. they're very sharp, but over the years i've occasionally wished for shorter blades with more mechanical advantage/leverage. they've gotten the job done for 30-some-odd years, but you might want to investigate some others' suggestions. also, i NEVER use them for anything but 24k gold or pure platinum sheet & wire. i'm pretty sure their fine edges wouldn't hold up with any harder alloys.

Gingher craft shears

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Mitch and all the rest thanks so much for your responses. Sheet precious metal is all they will be used for. Will report what I got and the results. Using a Jewelers Saw just does not appeal to me.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
The simplest way to cut out sheet inlays is with the help of a graver.
Transfer or scribe the outline onto the inlay material and glue it to a practice plate with instant glue. Cut around the outline with the cut falling outside the transfer or scribe line.
Remove the sheet from the practice plate using some acetone to dissolve the glue.
Scissors or jewelers saw will more easily follow the engraved line that you cut .
Use a file or stone to refine any roughness or details..

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The simplest way to cut out sheet inlays is with the help of a graver.
Transfer or scribe the outline onto the inlay material and glue it to a practice plate with instant glue. Cut around the outline with the cut falling outside the transfer or scribe line.
Remove the sheet from the practice plate using some acetone to dissolve the glue.
Scissors or jewelers saw will more easily follow the engraved line that you cut .
Use a file or stone to refine any roughness or details..

John, you are a living treasure trove of engraving information!

Latest posts

Sponsors