scope choice

rolandbaptiste

Elite Cafe Member
I see a lot of stone setter use the binocular Zeiss Stemi 2000.
I would like to know why this model and not other label?
I have seen the Leica M80 and S8apo they are right too.
Why make the choice for a stemi 2000 and not a Leica M80 or S8 who for me when I look the technic data look maybe better.
Thanks.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Roland: It seems that more of us have had the opportunity to try Zeiss scopes than Leica. Leica is on par with Zeiss quality wise, but I've never had a Leica scope on an engraving bench that I could test. I think Mitch has one, though. Anyway, I see no reason why Leica wouldn't be every bit as good (or better?) as Zeiss if the working specs are similar.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Roland,

The Zeiss (OPMI) and Wild/Leica scopes (M series) are Surgical/Medical scopes of the highest quality lens. Zeiss (Germany), Wild/Leica (Swiss).

Zeiss and Wild were partners years ago in Switzerland then split. The Stemi (Zeiss) and S series (Leica) are a grade lower than the OPMI or M series scopes but still excellent optics made in the respective countries.

The M series you refer to is the upper end and should not be compared to the Stemi.

Other lower end scopes mainly differ in the optics and glass grinding but most who do not use scopes for there living could not tell much of a difference between this class of scopes.

It is really a choice of the operator, I prefer the Wild/Leica's becouse they seem brighter (more light), and have larger occulars in my opinion but both of the higher end and the S series and Stemi are just outstanding scopes also without the higher price.

AirAmp

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Only dram i see when looking at the tech.-data of the M 80 - the field of view is a bit smaller compared to the Stemi 2000.
M 80 with 10x /23B, Achr. 0.63x: 49.1 mm
Stemi with the same config. as above: 56.2 mm
But this says of course nothing about the optical quality...
Do you already have a price to compare?

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi uncle jim 1955,

A Leica S4E is a very nice higher end scope. It is bright, large occulars and they adjustable ( I see you are wearing glasses).

One unusual thing about the S4E is that the eyepieces/head is set at about a 37 degree angle not 45 as most scopes which makes is much easier on the neck (ergo designed head is standard on this scope).

You could get one for about 700-1000 range depending on the mounting system. Diamond scope 700 boom mounted about 1000.

Boom scopes are for surgeons and engravers...

I do have a extra one on a boom and it is a very very nice scope. Almost like my Leica/Wild M3Z , but easier to setup and use properly.

If I didn't love my M3z with a adjustable head I would be using a S4E..

AirAmp

Last edited:

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
All of you have me wanting to up-grade, I just spent about $1600 on tools and told my wife I was good for a while..I really don,t have a choice as my eyes are getting weaker..I had my mind on a Meiji, but maybe I need to move up to a Zeiss..

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Roland-

Sam is correct- I have both a Leica S6E & a Leica S6. One has a 38° angle that I use for everyday work, the other has a much straighter 60° angle that I use for bulino (http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?7320-Microscope-set-up-for-Bulino-by-Mitch). Both have 10x eyepieces (oculars) and the 38° has a 0.5x objective lens.

I'm very happy with them, especially the relatively long working distance & large field of view (compared to my old Olympus SZ3).

Last edited:

Sponsors