Scott's Engrave-In

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
WOW!!!!!
What a great time! More nice, and talented, people in a concentrated area than you could ever imagine!
The Pilkingtons were warm and gracious hosts, and Jim Hall the best pig-roaster the South has ever produced.
Joe Rundell's demonstration was filled with tips, and his explaination of how he plys his skills were informative and freely shared. No amount of pictures could do justice to the shotgun he is working on. His engraving on metal is faultless, but so is his stock engraving ( it seems pointless to call it wood 'carving' ). The stock was also built and fitted by Joe and I doubt that a piece of tissue paper would be able to slip between the wood and metal.
Paul Hamler's casting demo was well thought out and presented with great tips and how-to's, and everyone was gifted with a miniature bronze chasing hammer that was cast that day.
Jerry and Joan Seymour brought some tasty fixin's for the pig roast, and the gumbo was superb.
I guess a one word description for the engrave in is impossible to conjure up!
It was fun to put faces to names and see the great ones' work first hand.
I want to add that Scott is also a super 'locksmith'.:eek:
I know I will think of more things to add to this, but for now, I just have to say that Scott and his family were super hosts for a fun gathering of engravers. I will never forget it.
Thanks again Scott:D :D :D
gailm

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Many thanks to Scott, Rhonda and all who helped make the Engrave-In a success. Like Don, I must echo Gail's comments above. This was different from meeting other engravers at a gun, knife or jewelry show. No customers to attend or questions from the general public. We could focus on the world of engraving and the art that goes with it. I asked lots of questions about the custom knife market and got straight answers from people who know that field inside and out. There was also a lot of beautiful and unique work to look at and examine. I also got to play with fast draw thanks to Jim Hall and Adolph who brought their timer, target, guns and leather for us to sample. We also got metal push graver handles from Kurt Horvath. One more thing to engrave. I'll post some pics when I get settled in.

david bain

Elite Cafe Member
A very enjoyable weekend.Good food and GOOD people.Lots of knowledge.It was good to be able to put faces to names.Thank you both Scott and Rhonda.A lot of work went into this event.It was a success.

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Not much to add to what's already been said here.........
GREAT People....
GREAT Food............
Fantastic engraving......

Got my little cast hammer head & the metal graver handle..........

Did I say GREAT Pepole.?? :)

The only couple of flaws I found were.
It ended too soon.
and Ray wouldn't turn his head long enough for me to snatch that Tom White hone he was hoardin..
I've never seen a graver go from blank to finish that fast.... :)

Those of you that missed this party.........missed a GOOD-Un.....and we "WILL" be back next year... :)

Thanks Scott, Rhonda, and "ALL" of you folks that made Robin & I feel welcome......

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just got home today and would have to say it was easily my most overwhelming experience associated with engraving. I had gone to Blade for the first time prior to going to Scott's and my brain was already on overload from that extravaganza.

As was mentioned the attendees were an incredibly talented group and the Sunday and Monday feasts and demonstrations were just amazing.

I would like to thank Scott, Rhonda and all those responsible for making my trip such a memorable time.

Peter

thefox

engrave-in

Hi everyone!
Thanks Scott and Rhonda for the the outstanding get together! Everything was great! Nicest people, best food, outstanding demostrations. It all ended too soon. Being a newcomer to the trade, I am finding out just why more people are getting interested in engraving, It's people like Scott and all the great craftsmen that shared their nowledge so freely to anyone who would ask, whether it be an experienced engraver, or a beginner like me. I have yet to ask for information without getting a warm detained explanation of how to do something. It's people like these that are bringing engraving to the front.

Again I say thanks to Scott and Rhonda. I hope it will happen again next year

Bryan Clary

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had limited carrying capacity on my bike and my camera is a full sized one so I did not bring it. Vilts had a still camera as well as a camcorder and he was heading home to Estonia 6/5 so perhaps he will post some photos.

Also, the demonstrations were filmed but I am not sure if they will get posted. Scott should be able to provide some information.

Peter

Kerry Bogan

Thank you Scott and Rhonda!!!
Norma and I had a great time. The whole event was perfect. Sitting down with engravers of all different skill levels and talking engraving [well not just engraving]for two days was the reason I went. However Scott and Rhonda's hospitality, the music, demonstrations and incredible food just put all together for a great two days. New friends and knowledge was a bonus. It was a long ride but well worth it and will try to be there next year.
Kerry

Andrew Biggs

Hi Tim

Thanks for those photos.................looks like a great time was had by all. There are some very familiar faces in those photos. I do wonder where Scott gets his great array of hats!!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

P.S. Thanks for that newspaper clipping Roger. Very somber reading.

Last edited:

Tim Adlam

Andrew,

It'd be cool if you could make it someday to the Blade Show and Scott's Engrave-In.
Scott dedicated this event to his parents whom were both present...I got a bit teary-eyed, but that's ok.
It really is all about the people and making new friends.
We're in a new age with this trade, and it looks brighter every day!

Keep in touch,
Tim

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I just arrived home, I guess I had one of the longest trips to make.

This was the most fun I've ever had. So many first time things for me. USA, Blade Show, Engrave-In, meeting lots of new people and trying to figure out whether that southern accent is English or not... And I found at least 7 new ways to pronounce my name :)

So first of all many great thanks to Scott and his whole family who made this event possible. All of them were really busy all the time to make us comfortable.

And honestly I felt like a little lilliputian with all the talent that had gathered there. It seemed like most of the guys have been engraving about the same time as I've lived. Just watch and learn, watch and learn.

Plus, after all that. Scott took me to a local knifemaker Doug Casteel's shop. Plus, after that I got to spend a day at Paul Hamler's home and shop. Boy, was this fun and educating.

I have photos from engrave-in and especially about the engravings that were presented plus videos from both Joe's and Paul's little classes. Now I have to find a time to sort, edit and post them (before that I have to edit photos from one wedding and video from another, so don't hold your breath as of now).

Attachments

• IMG_4539.JPG
    IMG_4539.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4562.JPG
    IMG_4562.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 121

Tim Adlam

Vilts,

It was a pleasure meeting you and your delightful wife at Blade and Scott's.
If you plan another trip to the show someday hang with us at the Engraver/Scrimshander area.
I was not aware that you were learning to engrave until we met again at Scott's...Speak up Man!
I think you have my card, but just in case contact me anytime through my website...AdlamEngraving.com
My best to you and your wife,
Tim

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well hey everyone, thanks for all the kind words. It was a lot of work, but we enjoyed having everybody as well. Thanks to Jerry and Joan for bringing the shrimp and helping in the kitchen. I know some of the other wifes helped in the kitchen as well. Thanks to Jim and George for their pig cooking and time. Thanks to Denis Marlow and his boys for helping me scrape and butcher the pig. Thanks to Tim Wells for helping Paul Hamler get the hammers waxed and sprued the week before. Those cast mini hammer heads are really cool. I may have to start doing bulino work with one of them ;^) Joe Rundell and Paul Hamler gave some great seminars by all accounts, I look forward to actually geting to see them when we edit the DVD material. I did’nt really get see any of either while they were going on, so I was really glad that had I bit the bullet and hired a film crew to get the event on film, so yes, we will offer DVDs. Yes, thanks to those who helped me renew my breaking and entering skills. A little footnote, I grew up at my dad’s canoe rental, where we frequently had to “creatively” unlock customers cars when they had lost their primary keys on the river. Since that time and attending shooting competitions around the US and world, I have unlocked literally hundreds of cars in 5 or 6 states and three different countries. Thanks to everyone that added something to the box that Tim Wells was passing around. Thanks to Ray Cover for that way cool hobo nickel he gave me. I will post a pic of it and some others from the Engrave-in later. Thanks to Yves Halliburton for his load “scrap” material, it is already being converted into useable items. Thanks to Don Cowles for his help with picking and grinning. Thanks to the Russian Spy for once again not killing me ( a running joke between me and Amayak). Thanks to John Hise for helping us getting needed chores done the week before and staying over another day afterwards to help us tear down and clean up. Thanks to CJ and Roger for their tailgate displays, I would like to see more of those next year. Thanks to “the Fox” for helping me unstick cars in the mud on Sunday afternoon.
Thanks to all who came and had a favorite tool to share, that was neat too. I hate that Ray Cover had already left before we got started, since that was his idea. But yes, it was great time, and we will look forward to next year.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Scott, as you're having the DVD made, would it still be OK if I post the videos I took to net? Surely it's not that good quality as you get from the pro guys with mics and all, but it's still something. I have 2 x 1hr tapes about the seminars that Paul and Joe made plus your "Cat In The Hat" :)

Viljo