Scream, relief engraving

AliAtiyabi

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Friends,

I hope everyone of the members are quite well. I am happy to come back with my new work which of course was a challenging one. I am sorry that the picture is not of high quality. I hope you enjoy it. IMG_2214.PNG

Last edited:

AliAtiyabi

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work , did you use copper and a pitch bowl?

Thanks Dave. Yes it is done on copper of 1.5 mm thickness but we do not have pitch in Iran rather we use tar which of course is heavy. I do not know exactly the nature of pitch and whether it is heavy or light which of course the lighter the better. An no bowl is used as in the portraits you can not use it just the chasing and repousse technique.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i used to make some version of engraver's pitch with asphalt (a chunk from a roofing crew doing a hot tar & gravel job), beeswax, and plaster of Paris. kinda just kept adding wax & plaster until it was the desired consistency/hardness. as best i could tell, the beeswax controlled the hardness when it was cool and the plaster kept it from being too runny when hot. but that's just my unscientific impression...

sooooo glad i now use thermo-loc or hot glue for pretty much everything i once used pitch for!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks Dave. Yes it is done on copper of 1.5 mm thickness but we do not have pitch in Iran rather we use tar which of course is heavy. I do not know exactly the nature of pitch and whether it is heavy or light which of course the lighter the better. An no bowl is used as in the portraits you can not use it just the chasing and repousse technique.
i think pitch and tar are just about the same materials. they just differ in hardness. creating an image from a photo like you have done, must be very difficult to do.

AliAtiyabi

Elite Cafe Member

AliAtiyabi

Elite Cafe Member
i think pitch and tar are just about the same materials. they just differ in hardness. creating an image from a photo like you have done, must be very difficult to do.
The important matter for using tar or pitch is the weight which is problematic for example my new project is a sheet of copper of 80x100 cm which you can imagine how heavy it is when tar is used on the back. But for solving this problem I could just use the tar on the parts which I want to start first otherwise tow car is needed. SO I do not know whether pitch is lighter than tar or not.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes not available in Iran, German red pitch may be, I have tried some it is OK. Don't know how it compares to tar. Got to work with what you have thanks again for showing your work

AliAtiyabi

Elite Cafe Member
Thankd
Wonderful work.
Skill comes from dilligence.
Thanks so much I am happy you all liked it. You are right it took 3 months to finish since in all of my works I focus on the different moods of man and it is really difficult to do on metal and stone.

AliAtiyabi

Elite Cafe Member
Makes me wish I was young enough to learn that (and get that good at it).

Pitch is tar with some brick dust to firm it up, as best I know.
I am glad to hear that. As a matter of fact I wished to come to USA and teach different styles I work here which each one has its own beauty . So my wife won DV lottery 2018 and I was happy to share my art but due to Trump ban we could not get visa.

Last edited:

Sponsors