Scrimshaw: Scrimshaw - Thanks for your help - here is the result

Stoneraven

I'm pretty much a lurker, but would like to thank all the posters for their very useful information. Always liked the idea of Scrimshaw so, taking advise from this forum I used a disecting microscope, some conservator's wax and a pin vise came up with a few creations.

1. Piece of moose antler. My wife has a 29 year old turtle named Auri. So I thought I would surprise her on her birthday. I had the other side blank so I kept going and did our 7 year old conure, Digit, on the back. I was worried about color, but conservator's wax worked great to seal the existing work before proceeding.

2. My sister in law likes pigs for some reason so I did a warthog on beef bone for her for Christmas.

Have done several more pieces since and even managed to score some old ivory piano keys from a friend in exchange for a scrimshaw piece of his parrot. I used the ivory and backed it on boxwood.

Thanks for all the great information.

Attachments

• Final Auri1.jpg
    Final Auri1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Final Digit1.jpg
    Final Digit1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Warthog Good 1 (476 x 600).jpg
    Warthog Good 1 (476 x 600).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 185

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You better not say that these are the FIRST scrimshaw pieces that you've ever done, or there will be a heck of a lot of PO'd people on this Forum! Very nice work, no matter how much a a newbie you are. Welcome to the ranks of the "Non-Lurkers".

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i glanced at the pics before reading your post. i thought maybe the warthog would be on warthog ivory. if you'd like to try working on some let me know and i'll send you a small piece...

nice work, btw!

Stoneraven

Thanks for your comments:

I was lucky in meeting a retired rancher that engraves belt buckles etc. He invited me over to see what he does. After seeing his set up I decided to try scrimshaw because I have always liked carving bone. I am interested in bulino on steel, and glass engraving as well.

Working on a bowling ball engraving vice. Cut it in my lathe. Now I have to rig up the self centering vice and I may actually have something I can use to try engraving.

Hey Doc Martin, close on the mahogany obsidian, but it's midnight lace. I like flint knapping. I guess I'm a bit of a throwback.

Sponsors