Scroll inlay troubles

weshammond

Looking for help regarding gravers and steps to cutting and inlaying scrolls. The inlay work I’ve done has always been bars or stripes on bits and spurs. Any help, suggestions or existing tutorials is very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
In the literature section there are many books.
Good pictures are on the site Pintest.

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
Looking for help regarding gravers and steps to cutting and inlaying scrolls. The inlay work I’ve done has always been bars or stripes on bits and spurs. Any help, suggestions or existing tutorials is very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.
look up Master Engraving on you tube, He has a detailed video up that explains everything from start to finish

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
The biggest thing that helps is to undercut the sides of what you want to inlay, may last piece I did It using a stipple point for the under cut, then any of the area that was raised from the undercut I file smooth and recut any scroll line that looks off or distorted. If it does not look clean without your gold, silver, or copper in place it won’t look good when you hammer in your wire and remove the extra.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Inlay can be a large part of engraving on bits and spurs, I would recommend taking a class, and learning how to do it correctly and efficiently. Quality classes, with professional instructors can be costly up front, but usually save money, time and frustration over the long run. Hodge podging info together off of youtube and forums is a tough way to go when trying to learn a fundamental like inlay, they are better suited to tips and tricks. Either way good luck to you.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is a lot to know about inlay. Especially in different colored metals. Plain 24K gold is fairly simple, But from there on you should have some training from a master engraver as Brian said.
Advice from the web is often wrong and given by beginners who don't know either.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Trial and error are very time consuming and lessons are costly, and sometimes unavailable or affordable. The price of fine copper wire out of Rio Grande $ 16.00, scrap steal and some close observation from someone on the master engraver channel can go a long way. I think that if everyone waited to take lessons before they cut their first line, two thirds of us will might not be here to offer their $0.02. Picking and choosing the correct you tub videos, proper book selection and asking questions on this site really can go a long way. And yes, I have been to the GRS classes after two years trail and error. I was humbled by some and was wondering about others as I am sure they were about me. Having had some health setbacks, I persist good bad wright or wrong common sense will take most of us the extra mile.

Latest posts

Sponsors