Critique Request Scrollback bone - back to basics!

kpattie

Hi All,

Hope everyone has been keeping well and healthy! I was hoping for some feedback on these scrolls, I thought I better take it back to basics prior to adding elements, I know they are far from perfect. Would you be kind enough to provide feedback on improving them. once part I am struggling with is the spirals on both ends and where it should be in relation how the small spiral should start. Any direction is greatly appreciated, please be as harsh as possible. Many thanks! =)

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
its hard to get those stupid flats edged out.............pretty nice looking to me.:pencil::pencil::pencil:

monk

Staff member
i think the smaller ends should be a tad larger. you, or at least i had to draw till such became automatic. several hundred more and they will be better. if you have to think about drawing a scroll, you'll likely mess it up. with experience at the bench, on an actual job, if there's a less-than-perfect scroll, you'll soon learn to correct stuff on the fly. this should not deter one from attempting to do perfect drawing right off. most of us use transfers. many have computer tweaking. on some jobs, such as guns, it's faster and easier to just direct draw on a part. compound curves, at least for me, require direct drawing.

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
Am I the only one that cannot see any pictures in this thread?

monk

Staff member
Monk, what do you prefer to use to direct draw? Pen?
Monk, what do you prefer to use to direct draw? Pen?
i usually use a 9h mechanical lead holder. i use a pointer to give the lead a very fine tip. i have also used real thin sharpie pens. depends on what i'm workin on. sam alfano advised using 9h pencils. his are wood. i got mine on the bay.i got maybe 30 or so leads for 7 us bucks.

classyranchwife

this is great advice/critiques. I am currently working on perfecting my scrolls as well. I will get bored some and then draw something else, but I know I need to get my scrolls on point!

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I'm just an amateur beginner but here's what I see. Are you starting at the small end? Most of the "flats" seem to consistently occur just as the scroll rises from the small end against the left edge. It looks like there's an edge effect impacting your curve.

Latest posts

Sponsors