Help, please: searching Pneumatic graver'e eqivalent

Raghav

Please help me find any equivalent pneumatic graver (like air graver by Lindsay).. will be of great help if its cheaper than Lindsay.. :thinking:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I believe your choices will be either GRS tools or Lindsay's. Both sites should have prices listed.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred is right on the money here.

There are no alternatives to either GRS or Lindsay if you want a pneumatic machine. I understand that Chris Decamillis is working on one but i have no idea how long it will be until it is on the market. I also doubt it will be any cheaper than the other two.

The Ngraver tool is mechanical rather than pneumatic but it does a decent job and it is considerably less expensive than the pneumatic tools. I have one here and I can engrave with it just fine. I find it has some limitations for doing extremely fine work like bulino lines but for general engraving it is a viable option.

Ray

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
If cost is an issue, you can strike the back of the chisel with a hammer, it used to be a real popular method, and cheap. However, if you want an air driven piston to strike the chisel for you, unfortunately you'll have to pony up like the rest of us. Check out the old Graver max's they are good machines and can be bought for around $600+/- I keep one around for a back up in case my other pneumatic has an issue. Good luck. B.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I'm gonna bet the thread starter is going to have to travel the same road as me...save...draw...buy good equipment...draw...practice...draw...take lessons...read...draw...learn from asking others for tips and help...draw...draw...draw.

There are just no shortcuts in this Art Form.

Donny

Sam

Staff member
I'm gonna bet the odds that the thread starter is a shill attempting to get someone to recommend that fraudulent Turkish made knockoff which is being hustled on ebay. Happens a lot on discussion forums.

I thought of that too Chris, but was hoping that wasn't the case.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
I'm gonna bet the odds that the thread starter is a shill attempting to get someone to recommend that fraudulent Turkish made knockoff which is being hustled on ebay. Happens a lot on discussion forums.

Damn, I must be naive... I didn't even consider it. Having said that I didn't even know there was a so called Turkish thing out there. :shock:

Strange though, I would have thought there would be an equivalent post on the Lindsay forum, but I can't seem to find one. :thinking:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Jo .... it actually did happen on Steve's forum about a year or so ago. The first was a person from Russia attempting to get an Airgraver donated. It was determined to be a ploy to knock off the tool and the individual (and posts) were deleted. The second time was the guy from Turkey and he was quickly removed. A cease and desist was sent to the guy but he still peddles the thing on ebay.

The fact that this post is not duplicated on that forum sends up a red flag as it leads me to the conclusion that this individual is possibly aware that looking for an Airgraver knockoff on the Airgraver tool forum is not cool. With that in mind, this is no different from asking where one could get a software crack for Photoshop on graphic design forum.

It's an interesting coincidence that this individual is looking for an Airgraver knockoff specifically .... on the 1st post of the 1st day of joining the forum.

I dunno ... maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am. Call me a skeptic, nuts or a professor in "street 101" .. LOL!! .... but if it smells like fish then it's definitely seafood. :)

Last edited:

Eddi

Elite Cafe Member
Also ... Poor spelling + poor grammar = poor English which generally means "some other country". Folks with a poor grasp of the English language don't "shill" well on public forums.
As a member of "some other country" I´ll try to behave myself and "shill" well here.
Always thougt I was welcome here.

Eddi
Please excuse my spelling and grammar.

Sam

Staff member
You're not a nut or professor, Chris. Maybe a nutty professor. Yuk yuk :biggrin:

That fellow from Turkey who makes the knock-off tools contacted me awhile back and very politely inquired about advertising his handpiece(s) in the Cafe. I obviously said no and he understood. Whether there's a connection with this thread or not I don't know, but like you, that thought did cross my mind. The Turkish guy is not the only copier as I saw Chinese copies of both GRS and Lindsay stuff in Thailand a few years ago, and there are plenty of other very capable companies that manufacture copycat products. It's not a question of if, but a question of when.

Nobody seems to mind buying inexpensive clones of computer RAM, jump drives, flash cards, camera batteries, microscopes, or thousands of other products, but when our friends' products are suddenly copied we get our panties in a wad. Human nature I guess. :confused:

Sam

Staff member
As a member of "some other country" I´ll try to behave myself and "shill" well here.

Eddi

Hey Eddi...there are plenty of Americans who don't have your English spelling and grammar skills. :thumbsup:

Of course you are welcome here. Please don't read something into "some other country" comment that's not there.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Christopher, the smell of fish is not always from seafood. In a foreigner's post, if their spelling was good, could their grammar be bad?

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam quote
"Nobody seems to mind buying inexpensive clones of computer RAM, jump drives, flash cards, camera batteries, microscopes, or thousands of other products, but when our friends' products are suddenly copied we get our panties in a wad. Human nature I guess."

To me there is a difference. Not morally but practically. Morally copying a large multibillion dollar corporation is just as wrong as copying an individual. Its just as wrong period. However on a practical level copying the product of an individual businessman or a small business does a lot more damage.

Here is what I mean. Large corps like Microsoft have a whole team of lawyers, international lawyers who are on staff full time and they can combat this. They sell so many of their products that adding a nickel to each software package or computer pays for this team of lawyers. Or if they already have have the next model about to hit the market they may decide not to. They have the power and option to take legal action or not.

Steve and DJ's companies are so small that they cannot afford to have such a team of lawyers to deal with this type of international copying. On top of that The portion of market lost to the copies has a bigger harmful impact on small businesses like Steve and DJ are running.

I look at it like this.
If you walk up and slap a UFC champion in the face and your likely to irritate him but your not going to hurt him. Slap a new born baby in the face with the same force and your likely to kill it.

Ray

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee

Eddi

Eddie, a shill is like a friend in a card game and no offense was meant. It was a general statement meant to apply to anyone ... just as if you have ever received spam or an e-mail selling something that did not originate in your own country but was written in your country's language.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Morally copying a large multibillion dollar corporation is just as wrong as copying an individual. Its just as wrong period.

I'm glad to see something woke you up, Ray! Where've you been hiding?

I'll agree with you in part, but the fact is, that's life in the business world. Sadly, eventually somebody's going to copy your scroll, your idea, your signature style, your software, your DVD, your computer chip, engraving machine, lens technology, etc. The alternative is to either be better, smarter, and more inventive, or hide under a rock. :confused:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry to be absent so much Sam. Part of it is I have been piled up with work. The other part is it has been "one of those years". You know one of those years where as soon as I get one thing fixed something else comes up. I have had to do a few unexpected home and auto repairs and replace an central air unit this year. I have had my nose to the grindstone to pay for it all.

Glad to have the work on the bench to make that possible but I could REALLY use a fishing trip.;)

Ray

Latest posts

Sponsors