Servus! Greetings!

Hello All.
my name is Sarah Jones, I am a 22 yearold american attending my second year at HTBL Ferlach in Austria and I am learn the fine profession of engraving. It was definantly a culture shock for me to move here, but it is quite enjoyable and I am learning a lot. I got the idea to attend this school from a german friend of mine who was attending the same school but learning to become a gun smith. I got more and more intrested after talking with Mr. Strolz from HTL Steyr via email and decided to take german classes so I could apply. a year and a half later I found myself sitting in workshop and could hardly believe it. I have had this username for a while, but forgot the password until today, I have browsed though this forum many of times as a guest and read through a ton of threads. I dont really have a question at the moment but I just wanted to say I find this website very inspiring and helpful and makes me feel a little less alone in the big world of engraving. If anyone wants to talk about their experience or ask me about mine, my email is Jonessa@verizon.net I would love to chat!. I will be posting pictures of my work as soon as I get a chance.

(PS Herr Strolz, es tut mir schrecklich Leid dass, ich mit Ihnen nicht in eine lange Zeit geschrieben habe. Ich war auf der IWA messe in Nürnberg und habe an Ihnen gedacht . so viel schöne Gewehr! Ich habe eine neue email addresse und habe nicht Ihre email gefunden.Ich weiß es klingt wie ich einen komplet Nerd bin, aber ich habe immernoch die Photos von ihre Waffen auf meinen Spiegel geklebt sodass ich die jeden Morgen anschauen kann. Sie sind immernoch ein Idol in meinen Augen!)

:beerchug: - Sarah

Andrew Biggs

Good deal Sarah!!!

Keep us in touch about what is happening at your school and the things you are learning. It sounds like a wonderful experience that is worth sharing.

I wish you all the very best with your career and it sounds like you are off to a fine start.............fantastic!!!

Cheers
Andrew

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sarah, I for one am jealous. I would love to do that but at this time in my life, life is not permitting me to do so. I do enjoying checking out the forum though. I'm not what you would call a full fledged engraver but have been engraving on knives of my own and a couple of other makers knives. I love doing it and am trying to get better with each one I do. Hang in there and don't forget to post progress of your work.

Dwayne

Thanks guys! I am learning more now than I have ever learned in my life! The austrians are very paticular and precise but at least they are honest, if something looks like crap they will let you know right away. It is kind of refreshing to hear the blunt truth

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Sarah!!! Welcome. I know you have alredy heard this.Stay focused! You wont have any idea of the magnitude of the opprtunity you have,until you are much further along in life and career. Be as patient with yourself,as your masters will allow! God Bless,Mike

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Sarah, you are doing quite well, to go to another counrty and learn the language to go to school is commendable. I was in germany for three years in the military many moons ago. I loved every minute of it and it was a great experience.

We will be looking for some pictures of your work.

Ed

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Sarah. You are the same age as my Sarah. You are on a wonderful adventure. Travel and education all in one. There have been very few Americans go through the programs there and the opportunities you will have, whether in the gun field or anything else in life will be awesome.

Could you tell us more about yourself. Where you come from, what you did before going away to school. Do you have an art background. Do you come from a family in the gun business. What caused you to go toward engraving . I think this of us here are going to need a biog on your adventure so we can all follow along and be cheerleaders and such. Start with pic of self and give us more background so that we can properly adopt you. The very best to on this adventure you have put yourself into. Fred

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sarah,

Best wishes on your adventure. If only I could have been where you are at your age. They have some great instructors at the Ferlach school.

Keep us posted,

Roger

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Sarah,
I must say that it is great to hear from you! You have been so determined about learning to engrave which deeply impressed me. I firmly believe you are an excellent student that shows lots of promise.
A formal education as an engraver in a school in Europe is an excellent basis for your professional future. Only very few Americans have had that outstanding chance! During your visit here in Steyr I couldn’t hold you back, you wanted to start immediately! I hope you don’t mind that I show these pictures, Sarah.
As Andrew noted, we all love to hear about your progress! So please post some pictures or scans of your work from time to time.
Best wishes for a raving success,
Martin

Attachments

• Sarah Jones hand engraving for the first time.jpg
    Sarah Jones hand engraving for the first time.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Sarah in my workshop.jpg
    Sarah in my workshop.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 66

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Best wishes to you, Sarah, work hard and enjoy the journey.
You are very lucky to have to have such a world class instructor as Martin Strolz.
Best regards.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hallo Sarah - herzlichen Glückwunsch zur begonnenen Ausbildung!
Mein Neid ist mit Dir :)
Have a good time and please don't forget to post some work here.
Regards, Mario.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
John,
This is a misunderstanding. I've just told her how to start, explained our school system and have pointed out all the opportunities to Sarah. She had several reasons that indicated a decision for going to Ferlach. That is an excellent choice for firearms engravers as they have the industry there and the gun maker department in the school.
Martin

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Sorry about that, Martin.
I must have misunderstood her post.
And thought she had enrolled in your wonderful school.
Best regards, enjoy the summer.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Sarah-

Your forum name really caught my eye. "Punkerdoodles" was the nickname of my old Jack Russell terrier (formal name: Bailey), but we called her 'Doodles', or 'The Doods' for short. She was born in '88 and we lost her just a few years ago at 19. So how did you pick up that name?

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah, I am insane with curiosity on this one. That name punkerdoodle is something else, that is for sure. Glad to have you around, and please don't forget to share your progress. Seth

Emily.Dale

Hallo!
Ich bin Emily, ich bein auch ein Amerikaner. Mein vater ist ein graveurer (engraver). Ich kann dass ein beischen. Ich bin 16 und ich wohne in Tennessee.

Ich habe zwei Pferde und ich liebe reiten. Ich habe in 2007 in Aachen, Deutschland gewoht und zu schule gegangen fuer 5 monate, und in 2009 fuer 5 wochen gearbeitet. Ich vermisse deutschland, am meisten die schones essen.

I hope you could understand my German =) My grammer isn't as good as it once was.

Latest posts

Sponsors