sharpening question

Stonesetter77

Hi there, my question is, is there a big difference between a diamond sharpening stone and a normal whetstone like for sharpening kitchen knives ? I'm ordering lindsay templates but the sharpening stones cost over 100$ in shipping costs to germany so I'm trying to figure out an alternative for the stones. Also, I'm only learning engraving and wouldn't be sharpening gravers daily. Thanks for any help, tips or links.

Stonesetter77

Hi there, my question is, is there a big difference between a diamond sharpening stone and a normal whetstone like for sharpening kitchen knives ? I'm ordering lindsay templates but the sharpening stones cost over 100$ in shipping costs to germany so I'm trying to figure out an alternative for the stones. Also, I'm only learning engraving and wouldn't be sharpening gravers daily. Thanks for any help, tips or links.
And I Have a grs power hone, but grits only to 600. Would like something like 1500,3000 grit

ShaneMac

What I've been told is that a graver will gouge a whetstone very fast, since its surface area is much smaller than a plane blade or kitchen knife. You'll wear out the stone by both sharpening the graver, and constantly flattening it.

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
after 600 grit I use a Lindsay 1200 diamond ‘stone’ and polish with a ruby stone shimmed to 1/2” to fit the templates.

Dan

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
Better to use diamond. It will stay flat. Stones will get grooves. I have brought some diamondwheels for my powerhone from Aliexpress and they are nice. grit 320 I think, 600, 1200 and 3000.

In Germany there are plenty of jewelry suppliers. Search for them online. They will have what you need.

try:
www.horbach-technik.de
www.flume.de

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
If you buy cheap you’ll buy twice. If you’re already ordering templates then just grab the kit that has the stones. Save yourself some headache. I built a power hone for rough shaping. Then use the 600,1200,2000 Lindsay stones.

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Hi, I was in a similar situation concerning the purchase of american goods (I live at the French / German boarder), and built my first system arround Degussit stones (sintered Ruby) for honing and diamond plates from ebay for shaping gravers.

To your question: The diamond plates kept their shape but lost the agressive bite pretty fast. They still work, just a bit slower than when they were new. No grooves ar bald patches. I sharpened HSS gravers on them, no carbide.

Built myself a minihone meanwhile. 50mm diamond wheels for shaping, 50mm copper wheels with different diamond pastes for honing.

Best regards

Ralf

Attachments

• 34CEEE9B-513C-4F66-AC1F-28F7D700D02F.jpeg
    34CEEE9B-513C-4F66-AC1F-28F7D700D02F.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 34

Stonesetter77

Hi, I was in a similar situation concerning the purchase of american goods (I live at the French / German boarder), and built my first system arround Degussit stones (sintered Ruby) for honing and diamond plates from ebay for shaping gravers.

To your question: The diamond plates kept their shape but lost the agressive bite pretty fast. They still work, just a bit slower than when they were new. No grooves ar bald patches. I sharpened HSS gravers on them, no carbide.

Built myself a minihone meanwhile. 50mm diamond wheels for shaping, 50mm copper wheels with different diamond pastes for honing.

Best regards

Ralf
Hi Ralf. Thanks for the tip. I also live on the German French border, in Saarbrücken. I would love to talk with someone about engraving, even more of a bonus in English ! Do you have a shop or do engraving from home?

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
I have always been told that to sharpen carbide tools you need diamonds. I would imagine that the German equivalent of Amazon or ebay would have inexpensive diamond sharpening stones from China. You just need to shim them up to 1/2" to work with the templates.

Stonesetter77

I have always been told that to sharpen carbide tools you need diamonds. I would imagine that the German equivalent of Amazon or ebay would have inexpensive diamond sharpening stones from China. You just need to shim them up to 1/2" to work with the templates.
Thanks, I think that's what I'll do ;)

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Hi Ralf. Thanks for the tip. I also live on the German French border, in Saarbrücken. I would love to talk with someone about engraving, even more of a bonus in English ! Do you have a shop or do engraving from home?
Hi Stonesetter,

I engrave and make jewelry at home, at a non-profit basis. I work full time as electronics engineer. I’m still learning engraving. I might have some useful information about tools and sharpening. I’ll try to send you a message. Would be nice to have contact who shares my interests in driving distance, once the Corona bans are lifted.

Cheers

Ralf

Stonesetter77

Hi Stonesetter,

I engrave and make jewelry at home, at a non-profit basis. I work full time as electronics engineer. I’m still learning engraving. I might have some useful information about tools and sharpening. I’ll try to send you a message. Would be nice to have contact who shares my interests in driving distance, once the Corona bans are lifted.

Cheers

Ralf
Sounds great Ralf, I goldsmithed for 7 years in Canada, now I do it as a hobby and take on custom jewelry work now and then. I really, really want to incorporate engraving In my jewelry though and take it to another level.
Neale

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you cannot afford a sharpening power hone I would suggest you look up easy lap. They have diamond stones that are good and also economical. http://eze-lap.com/
Personally, I do my best not to buy anything made in China.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors