Sharpening systems on ebay?

Kevd

Hi, just about to buy my first starter kit and get into push engraving. I cannot afford to use the air systems at the moment but I thought a good understanding and practice with a push graver would be good.

I'm looking on eBay and most of the stuff is in China so hoping the virus doesn't sway the postage too much (I live in Thailand, but originate from the UK).

I need:

Graver handles - Looking at wood - mushroom, half and round types (I'll buy 3 or 4 to see which is comfortable).
Or should I just get the GRS Quick Change Graver?

HSS blanks (correct me if there is something better)

Dual Stone 240/2000 grit

Sharpening system. Now here is the sticking point. The coveted "Lindsey" sharpening seems to be the way to go but spending 90 dollars plus shipping on a piece of plastic seems a bit over the top (I think he is just cashing in on his name?). Are there other good pieces of plastic (templates) that at just as good and cost a lot less?

Namely this eBay link
Otto Carter Template but where to buy?
Grs apex is out of my price range
Lindsey - Too much for a piece of plastic and a bolt
Crocker = no one likes?
By eye? o_O

Thanks for any replies. I really thought this would be easier to get into until I started looking into it properly :shock: haha

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi, just about to buy my first starter kit and get into push engraving. I cannot afford to use the air systems at the moment but I thought a good understanding and practice with a push graver would be good.

I'm looking on eBay and most of the stuff is in China so hoping the virus doesn't sway the postage too much (I live in Thailand, but originate from the UK).

I need:

Graver handles - Looking at wood - mushroom, half and round types (I'll buy 3 or 4 to see which is comfortable).
Or should I just get the GRS Quick Change Graver?

HSS blanks (correct me if there is something better)

Dual Stone 240/2000 grit

Sharpening system. Now here is the sticking point. The coveted "Lindsey" sharpening seems to be the way to go but spending 90 dollars plus shipping on a piece of plastic seems a bit over the top (I think he is just cashing in on his name?). Are there other good pieces of plastic (templates) that at just as good and cost a lot less?

Namely this eBay link
Otto Carter Template but where to buy?
Grs apex is out of my price range
Lindsey - Too much for a piece of plastic and a bolt
Crocker = no one likes?
By eye? o_O

Thanks for any replies. I really thought this would be easier to get into until I started looking into it properly :shock: haha

A GRS Dual Angle fixture can sharpen nearly any conceivable geometry you will need. It can be used with a bench stone as well as a PowerHone or GraverHone. It's the predecessor to the Apex and is an excellent sharpener.

Crockers suck. Don't waste your money.

Keep in mind that sharpening for hand push is not the same geometries as sharpening for hammer & chisel or pneumatic. You might check out my Youtube video on the Speitzer graver.

Wooden handles are fine.

Kevd

A GRS Dual Angle fixture can sharpen nearly any conceivable geometry you will need. It can be used with a bench stone as well as a PowerHone or GraverHone. It's the predecessor to the Apex and is an excellent sharpener.

Crockers suck. Don't waste your money.

Keep in mind that sharpening for hand push is not the same geometries as sharpening for hammer & chisel or pneumatic. You might check out my Youtube video on the Speitzer graver.

Wooden handles are fine.
Thanks very much!! I didn't know sharpening was different. Will definitely check this out :)

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Search the "TIPS" thread as there is info on how to sharpen for hand push. Its simple and all you need is a stone and two graver blanks. One to act as a base and the other to sharpen.
IT WORKS!!!

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The $90 price is for 1 plastic template and the metal fixture to hold the graver. The metal fixture fits and is required for all the other templates which cost $25 - $30 when purchased alone.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks very much!! I didn't know sharpening was different. Will definitely check this out :)
there are so many geometries and all have their place in engraving. don't lock into just one. as you get handy with one, experiment a bit. the reward for such experimentation is well worth the time inves ted.

Latest posts

Sponsors