sign that stuff

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Interesting editorial in Knives Illustrated by Bruce Voyles in the issue that came today. It's about handmade knives and the issue collectors deal with when trying to identify unmarked or sometimes initialed handmade knives. This problem is really magnified when it comes to engraving. Why not do it, its a way to advertise your work. Even if the customer knows your name when he is showing off your work, most people remember things visually better than verbally, so having it there in the steel is best.

So sign your work , full name is best. I think there is a real good tutorial on here somewhere :^) if you want to brush up your skills.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I sign my larger jobs S. ALFANO and have a fancy interlocking SA for smaller jobs that's quick to cut. Absolutely good advice...sign your work. Knife and gun customers love to see an engraver's name signed in crisp little Roman letters.

This reminds me of another McKenzie story...Lynton was doing a lot of work for Japanese collectors back in the 80's, and thought it would be clever to sign his work in katakana (Japanese characters). The customer quickly informed him that it was NOT a good idea, and demanded he remove it and sign his name with Roman lettering. / ~Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors